RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a lurker for a while now (thanks for all the great info), but I've reached the end of my rope. I'm looking for an A/C expansion valve for a 1993 LWB. The A/C wasn't working when I bought the truck this spring (the PO had taken it in to an independent shop twice to get it fixed) so I took it into a different shop and had them do the 134a conversion. They thought it was fixed - it wasn't. Took it back and they said that, because (I think I'm saying this correctly) the high side was too high and the low side was pulling a vacuum, the expansion valve was bad and needed to be replaced. They acknowledged that it would be expensive to fix, as they would need to take the dash apart. I've gone through the RAVE manual, and getting the old valve out doesn't look too bad (relatively speaking) but I can't find a new one to save my life. I've been told that it's a standard Parker part; but I can't find a generic/Parker part number (I believe the original LR part number is RTC6143). Has anyone dealt with this before? Any advice on tracking down the expansion valve? Thanks in advance.

-Seth

·
Registered
536 Posts
G'day Seth,
Just wondering where you are in the world?
I've found RTC6143 in connection with a business in the US. Gold Coast Rovers (800) 444-5247.
Or, through the U.K., it's part number 22-8683 at http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/land-r ... on-valves/. It shouldn't matter that yours may be a 4.2 (we didn't get them in Australia :crybaby2: ), as this one is listed for a 3.9.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents. I tried GCR - they don't have it and can't get it. Rovers North normally carries a ProLine part, but they are backordered indefinitely. I made some more calls and evidently it is a standard part, so once I pull it I should be able to take it to a parts place or, at worst, an AC supply house, and get a replacement. If that doesn't work, I'll look into the UK source.

Thanks again,
-Seth

Benji - I'm in Portland, Oregon. I've been down under a few times for work in the past year or so, but only as far south as Sydney. I loved it. We're relocating a few people from Portland to Brisbane and, despite the heat, I did all I could to get assigned to that office. No such luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found one for my 92 LSE at polarbearinc.com They were very helpful. I sent him a pic of what I needed and he sent one that he said would fit. It costs $25.00 inclusive of shipping. I did not use it, so I have it as a spare.[attachment=0:1gdkxuds]rr rtc6143.jpg[/attachment:1gdkxuds]

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I ended up using the UK page benji referred to in his post, Googling the cross referenced part numbers, and came up with a match at the local O'Reilly's. I don't have the part number in front of me, but it was a Murray part that looks exactly like the one in dnhoover's post. I paid <$25 for it, put my dash back together, paid an outrageous price (it seemed to me) to get it evacuated and charged, and now it works like a charm. I have high hopes that it will continue to do so, but, we'll see.

-Seth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts