RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My A/C ECU ('97 4.6HSE) was diagnosed to be bad by my independent mechanic. Rovacom was not detecting an 'on' signal being sent when the AC was switched on. So, I bought a supposedly 'good' used A/C ECU. I had it put in this morning; now my AC blows cold. however, I have no fan control and no fan speed indicator on the LCD panel. The round fan speed control does absolutely nothing. Does this mean I got a bad A/C ECU? Since my old ECU had a working fan control, is there anything I can swap between the two ECU's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
The fan speed control is with the plastic knob at the back of the knob are some copper fingers attached which will make contact between the gold coloured surfaces on the pcb below the knob. It is quite common for this fingers to get loose and tumble inside the ecu. You can stick them back on but you have to completely dismantle the ecu.

An other option is to remove the knob from your old unit and mount it on the new unit.

See the main site page for explanations on how to open the unit.

http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/lcdlights.html

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aahh! That makes sense. Thanks, as always, Jos! I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jos, sorry if this is a stupid question but if I opt to remove the knob from my old unit and mount it on the new unit, I dont have to pull out the ecu? With th ECU in the dash, i just pull out the round switch and then put in the replacement?

thanks!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The knob itself can be pulled off from the front, but the operation part of the knob is fitted from the back.
To repair your problem unfortunately you have o take out the whole ecu.

In the pictures at the main site you can see the front part of the unit lying face down. The operational part of the knob is the clear plastic disc with the small copper fingers on them and further inside is a small ball with a spring behind it that causes the clicking sound. Be carefull when you remove it so that you do not loose the ball or spring.

Good luck

Jos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts