1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP "I need somebody's help... "

Hola I have a 1999 P38, Bosch

A few days ago I changed the air compressor. The old one burned up. I also changed the AC drier and the AC expansion valve.
I filled the system with freon and I checked that there were no leaks.
All went well until I started the Rover. Fuse F27 burned up and the compressor clutch won't activate, so it does not blow cool.
I have replaced the fuse and it continues to burn up. I cautiously put a 15 amp fuse in place of the 10 amp and it worked, cooled beautifully, but after a
few minutes burned up as well.
I know very little about electrical so any small help from my Rover friends would be great to get this working correctly.

Thank you in advance!

Eduardo

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,277 Posts
So to recap, the old compressor did not blow fuses then?
What do you mean by "burned up" exactly?
Looks like either the new compressor is bad and shorting out/pulling too much juice to engage, or the wiring got messed up when the old one went out.

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Martin for the reply ...

I think the clutch of the old compressor froze and caused the compressor to work too hard until there was smoke. I don't know if the fuse blew before or after that. I am now going to check the cables and try to verify if there is electrical current to the compressor.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I guess it's the AC clutch. test it with a multimeter for an electrical short.
BTW P38 uses R134a gas not Freon. Check that too.

rgds

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.