RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driverside (LHD) blower motor, stopped working. It had been making a funny sound for a few days, but now it's stopped all together. It would make like a rubbing/growling sound, then stop all together, then start making that noise again. Anyone have any ideas on what might be the issue? Brushes maybe?.....or should I just replace the whole assembly. Not trying to spend 300 - 400 on it either. If I have to replace it, does anyone know of any place that offers them at a decent price?

Mississippi in the summer without A/C is brutal!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Growling sound ? It might be rubbing the casing or something is inside that doesn't belong there. Worst case bearing failure. Before buying a new one take out the not working fan and close off the outlet ducting by inserting a towel and taping it close. After having done this the other fan will provide you with some degree of aircon as now the air supplied by the other fan is escaping through the suction side of the not working fan.

With the fan out open it up by pressing a screw driver through the holes onto the rubber blocks while pulling on the outer plastic.

I have posted some photo's of the fans and the carbon brush holders so you can inspect them and change them.

Good luck.

Jos

·
Registered
59 Posts
The same thing happened to both of mine the driver side being the worst. It was the brushes and the motor had burned out do to the fact that water was coming into the right and left sides of my cabin. This was caused by the poillen filter on both sides of my vehicle being block and never being changed. Either way I replaced both of the through Atlantic british and that was 675.00 with shipping. I didn't mind because I wanted new ones but Scotty on this web page could help you with used items maybe try him.Hope this helps also I'm having the bad motors looked at for repair for back up will let you know the outcome. Hope this helps Warren

·
Registered
56 Posts
Working from Jos's original post I've just replaced the carbon brushes in my blower fans. not too bad a job to do and they now work just great. The commutators are quite badly worn down so i dont expect to get another 125K miles out of it but I am sure it will work for as long as i need them to.

For any UK guys interested I got my new carbon brushes for Solent tools in Southampton. £29.50 inc vat and postage for four [two motor sets] I dont know if they were off the shelf items or if they made me some to pattern and dimensions i gave. But working aircon sure is welcome in the unusualy hot spell we are having just now `) .

Gordon

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts
Has anyone found a US source for the motor brushes?
Mine are very worn (139,000 miles), and I was able to clean them up to keep them working, but they definatly need replaced.
LHD driver's side is a PITA with that damned plastic conduit in the way.

·
Premium Member
1997 P38 4.6 HSE
14 Posts
Dude! Super Cheers! I almost bought a questionable blower from eBay for $100, but thanks to this post and replies I stretched my brush springs after an attempted cleaning fail. I followed the YouTube P38 blower repair video, but I needed to stretch my springs to get the last bit of juice from them. They are about 3/8” left in length and the commutators are F’d. The plates of (guessing) steel under the copper is about 1mm deep and the brushes are shaped to them. I’m so happy to have found the problem on my recently acquired P38 with little history, instead of the many hard to find gremlins that can live in the electrical. There are some 90+f days this week in MN, so big bonus.

Cheers to all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts