RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two part question.

1 Just noticed my valve cover on the passenger side rear seems to be leaking right above the manifold. Dealer quoted $700 (indie $400) for both side replacement. Seems like the manifold and several bits need to be removed to get to the cover. I've done many a repair similar to this (saab's mostly) but not on a rover. Straight forward job? Or F it and spend the 400.

1 A/C's blowing not so cold and appears to need a recharge. Can't seem to find the correct info on recharging the system on Rave.

Any tips appreciated.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Should be a sticker on the left hand side of the slam panel indicating 1380Grams(48.6oz) of R134A +/- 20gram(0.7oz). Just had mine done today and the Aircon guy put 1380gram exactly in and 227grams(8oz) of oil. Plus the dreaded dye......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the A/C may be more than a charge as I have an A/C error icon. Is there anyway to do a self test to find the fault?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,795 Posts
Correct 1/4" socket from Sears will pull the covers in about 5 minutes. Full set of 12 point sockets were under $30. If you have the indie or dealer do it please order the lobster with dinner as they bend you over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rrtoadhall said:
Correct 1/4" socket from Sears will pull the covers in about 5 minutes. Full set of 12 point sockets were under $30. If you have the indie or dealer do it please order the lobster with dinner as they bend you over.
I assume the manifold needs to be removed as well as other bits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
How bad is the cover leak? Both of mine were leaking and I found that the bolts were basically finger tight on the cover. A little snugging and no more leak. I'd give that a shot before you tear into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Rregarding the a/c problem - do you have the book symbol on the hevac screen? If so then it could be just a dud relay.

You only need to remove the air intake out of the way, unplug a couple of breather tubes and go to it - if memory serves me correctly. Does your engine still have the cork rocker gackets or rubber. I did mine a few months ago and was given the ´updated´ rubber gackets - the whole job took less then two hours. That´s including cleaning up all the scraps of disintegrated cork gasket that fell into the head.

Now no more leaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rowant said:
Rregarding the a/c problem - do you have the book symbol on the hevac screen? If so then it could be just a dud relay.

You only need to remove the air intake out of the way, unplug a couple of breather tubes and go to it - if memory serves me correctly. Does your engine still have the cork rocker gackets or rubber. I did mine a few months ago and was given the ´updated´ rubber gackets - the whole job took less then two hours. That´s including cleaning up all the scraps of disintegrated cork gasket that fell into the head.

Now no more leaks.
Haven't had a chance to investigate it yet, but I'll try re-tightening the bolts first.

I do have the book symbol on the hevac display. Could the relay cause very low cool air coming out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
If a relay has packed up then the blower motor that it controls will not be operating. Then the output from the good unit will be going back out through the non-working part of the system rather than being pumped into the cabin as it should. That´s how I understand it.
I suggest that you check the two relays closest to the battery (there is an unused relay terminal between them). You might quite possibly find that a relay is scorched and/or the fusebox is burnt/cracked. This is what I found: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39419

I hope that this helps.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,421 Posts
Try tightening the bolts on the rocker covers. They tend to work loose.

You'll need a 1/4" drive 12-point socket. These are hard to find as most 1/4" drive sockets are hex.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
p38arover said:
Try tightening the bolts on the rocker covers. They tend to work loose.

You'll need a 1/4" drive 12-point socket. These are hard to find as most 1/4" drive sockets are hex.
Echo that, mine suffered exactly the same until those little bolts were tweaked a bit :thumb:
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
666 Posts
suggest you check pressure with an inexpensive gauge first. my 97 4.0 SE AC didn't work when I bought it 18 mths ago - put some gas in but was clearly escaping & a diy pressure gauge from halfords (UK) gave no pressure - fed compressor direct from battery and it kicked in so that part was ok,,,,,,, put off any other checking but read and reread all the threads on here for the last 6 mths and bit the bullet a month ago - when I got the bonnet slam panel off saw the cause - big corrosion holes in the top of the condensing rad. replaced: the rad (after local garage - Hannahs of Snaith E Yorks got me the bumper off!!!!!), the drier, added pag46 oil, replaced engine bay O rings regassed from a cylinder I'd bought a couple of years ago (got a local hydraulics company to crimp the quicksnap connector from a diy can refill onto the hose supplied with the gas cylinder) --- compressor kicked in straight away, text book symbol disappeared and both fans eventaully kicked in/out as it got hot but the AC cycled on and off - as I'd no way of taking out any moisture, air from system got local garage (Carlton Service Station Carlton nr Goole UK) to do a 'service' and he found apart from the air/moisture I'd overfilled the gas! WORKS PERFECTLY all for around £200 SO well worth it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Chris X said:
How bad is the cover leak? Both of mine were leaking and I found that the bolts were basically finger tight on the cover. A little snugging and no more leak. I'd give that a shot before you tear into it.
Cornishman said:
p38arover said:
Try tightening the bolts on the rocker covers. They tend to work loose.

You'll need a 1/4" drive 12-point socket. These are hard to find as most 1/4" drive sockets are hex.
Echo that, mine suffered exactly the same until those little bolts were tweaked a bit :thumb:

Hey, I said it first! :mrgreen: :dance:

But if that's not the fix, then p38arover said it first! :lol:
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,421 Posts
`)

I saw your post after I posted.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top