RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys this is my experience with Rimmer bros of UK who also advertises here.
I purchased a water pump from them , the photo showed a pump with metal impeller with part no STC3342P1 , clealy marked as OEM.
see picture;
https://rimmerbros.com/CartPage.aspx

What I received after two weeks was not a OEM pump but a pump with a plastic impeller manufactured by Euro Spares.

Wrote to their customer service & the reply was;

Inboxx

Tue, 19 Feb, 18:29 (1 day ago)

to me

Dear Sir,

The part you have received is an OEM part, the photo on our website is outdated and needs changing to show the current stock. All part numbers, illustrations and photographs used in this website are intended for reference and identification purposes only, and are not necessarily an exact representation of the goods supplied. Photograph's of parts should be considered indicative of what we supply rather than an exact representation as sources of supply and manufacture can change. Whilst we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of product descriptions, illustrations and photographs on this website, they are based upon information supplied by the manufacturer or distributor at the time. There may be occasions - due to circumstances beyond our control - when specifications are changed, or when goods become temporarily unavailable. At this moment in time we can only supply pumps with plastic impellers.

Wade Jackson
Customer services
Rimmer Bros

This is posted here to warn others to be careful with sellers of this type who has their own definition for OEM parts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,231 Posts
OEM, Original Equipment Manufacturer but what you don't know is the supply chain. The pump would have been made by whoever made the original parts supplied to Land Rover (or, in your case, BMW) but won't have come from Land Rover, in this case it will have gone from the manufacturer to Euro Spares and then on to Rimmers. Euro Spares will operate the same as Britpart, some parts they will have made for them (with varying degrees of quality), others they will buy in from the OE manufacturer. If you buy Dunlop air springs they will often come in a Britpart box as Britpart can do a deal with Dunlop and order in large quantities, rather than each individual retailer buying direct from Dunlop.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm with the OP here, although I don't think it's a Rimmers' thing necessarily. I always try and order a brand: LR, Bearmach/ whatever, rather than order "OEM" some folks have artistic interpretation of OEM, like someone manufactured a screw once for a Landrover so now their knock-off door card is "OEM"...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Agree that more and more suppliers are subbing in cheap Chinese junk for quality parts and charging premium prices...(AB!)....
In this case, it looks like they do not make that pump with a metal impeller anymore. What you did get is a Made in UK part, so it could indeed be an Oem part.......

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
My 2cents, you got what you ordered: a water pump made by an original equipment manufacturer. You should not go by the picture, the reply you got is also shown as a disclaimer on the website. And the partnumber clearly shows it's not an original LR part.
The diesel water pumps have had plastic impellers for several years now. Eurospares may produce some parts themselves or have them produced specifically for them, but they are mainly a wholesales company that supply a large number of parts to different retailers. I often use Europarts, never had problems with their parts and price/quality is usually very good. Never had problems with Rimmer Bros either and am happy to use them for many classic British brands, though for LR you can often find better alternatives (as in cheaper or more choice in brands).

Filip

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
I used to get them with the BMW parts number, still have a proper metal one sitting here.
The one you received is manufactured by proflow UK.
LR used to sell the plastic one for many years, I preferred the German or the QH model.

I agree if their picures showed a metal one, you have been deceived. The plastic ones have caused so many problems, I replaced 33 of them while in France .

A year ago I ordered 8 OEM OS pistons for a classic from Rimmer. Ordered British and received Chinese. I was really, really Peeved

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyway, I'm not going to put this in my car. I'll source a metal impeller one & install it rather than risking a blown engine.
I will never buy from these people, again.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Here is good news, EAS or in their retail shop shop4autoparts.net still sell the KS (Kolbenshmid) model.
You can find it on ebay uk or directly on their website.
QH also sells plastic now :-(

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mate. will buy that & finish this.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Thanks mate. will buy that & finish this.
say hello from Annette in Costa Rica... if they have to ship to Sri Lanka it my be worth getting some more bits, they have everything for axels and Gearboxes made in the UK. And they are most helpful with shipping documents ( this is where you should mention me, hint, hint)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts