RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my father's '99 Range Rover's dashboard is acting weird, as stated in the title.
What's happening is that all the lights go off for a second, not just for the speedometer and fuel/oil gauges, but the entire dash, clock, the radio goes off and everything. This is followed by a low pitched beep, followed by 3 high pitched beeps, which are then followed a couple more low pitched beeps, this is all random, or, at least it appears to be. It can go on for a while (Usually around an hour, but not specifically) without anything happening, and suddenly, it blinks, beeps, blinks, beeps, blinks and beeps. Not necessesarliy 3 times in a row, but usually 2-3. Then 20 seconds pass and it happens again. Sometimes when he starts it in the morning it'll constantly blink and beep for minutes and it is driving him insane. My father is a mechanic, but he specializes within heavy vehicles, so he has no idea what the problem is, and he can probably fix it if he gets to know what it is, but he doesn't have time to have a good look at it.
I believe it was the body control module he sent to The UK and back for 600 dollars to find out that it wasn't anything wrong with it.
I'm as old as this car and I don't know anything about it, so this is the best information I can provide without instructions, so if anyone knows anything about this problem, please post it, it would make my father's life much better.
Thank you.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,159 Posts
I would be downloading the RAVE package that is listed in the 'Top 10 FAQ's' post at the top of the forum. This has a lot of information in it, including the workshop and electrical wiring manuals, which will help you locate components, ground points etc.

The instrument cluster problem, to me, sounds like a power or a ground problem - which if the BECM has been tested, then it is more likely to be a ground problem, as the cluster gets it's power from the BECM.

The instrument cluster (along with a load of other things in the dash area) ground back to a point behind the trim in the RH front footwell. Behind the plastic kick panel on the outer side of the vehicle, there are a couple of connectors (which are known to corrode the pins on, but I doubt this is your problem as the wiring for the instrument cluster goes direct from the BECM) and a ground point which is bolted to the body of the vehicle. It would be worth disconnecting this and cleaning it to see if that fixes your problem.

There is a slim chance that the problem is the instrument cluster itself - but the ground points are known for getting dirty/corroded and causing all manner of problems, so that is where I would start.

Marty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts