RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with 93,000 miles at the end of January. I live in NY and I purchased this vehicle in CT. I drove the 3 hours home without a single problem or issue. Fast forward a month and i'm just driving the vehicle from the market and i notice that the temperature gauge is in the red and red light is on. I pull over immediately and shut the engine off. I wait for the engine to cool and drive it home, for i was about a mile away. Once home, i notice that there is no coolant in the reservoir tank, so I figure it's just low on coolant and fill it up with some fresh coolant, basically an entire gallon. A couple of nights later, i drive it again and i go to pick up a friend and i'm waiting in the driveway, idling and i see the temperature rising up to the red as i'm looking right at it! I turn the engine off immediately and once the engine cools off, i check the reservior tank and it again, looks empty. I put more coolant in, but this time, not even a quarter of a gallon and the reservoir tank is up to the level it should be.

I bring it into a mechanic who specializes in Land Rovers and Jaguars and I tell him the story. We go ahead and run a pressure test on the cooling system and there are no leaks. As I am driving home from the mechanic, the engine overheats again and i have to pull over and let the engine cool off. I turn right around and bring it back to the mechanic. The mechanic uses the infrared device to measure the engine temperature and confirms that the engine is running very hot (245 degrees). As the car is idling, the temperature needle is now moving up and down from the center of the gauge to the hot side back and forth sporadically.

He goes ahead and replaces the thermostat and he drove the car over the weekend, with no issues at all. I pick the car up and drive home... and wouldn't you know it? The needle goes up to the the hot side, but doesn't go into the red....and it stays there.... i am able to drive it home and that's where i am at right now. I plan on driving it or trying to drive it for the next couple of days to see if it stablizes.
I would GReATLY appreciate any ideas or suggestions as to what my issue or issues with this car may be and any ideas as to how to fix this.

Thak you!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would get an infrared thermometer and check out the radiator, it could have been neglected by the previous owner and clogged up, not allowing the coolant to flow correctly? When it starts to heat up turn your heater up all the way and watch the gauge carefully for a drop in temp after a few min. (obviously you don't want it too far in the red)

Hit up Scotty for a good used radiator or one of his new shinny aluminium ones :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well, I have a very similar issue as yours, but it just started to happen and I haven't had an opportunity to diagnosed the root cause yet. With my RR, it doesn't seem to experience high temp (into the Red, or very close to the Red) while in motion. However, it does experience high temp issue while idle with hot engine, say after driven a while and stopped at a traffic signal.

Looks like you tried the thermostat route already, and didn't solve the problem, but replacement of the thermostat is the step I will be taking next when the parts arrives. If the thermostat replacement doesn't solve the issue, I will probably replace the radiator next.

Please let us know how you're doing on your end. I will post any updates as well, as I progress on my diagnostics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies, guys. That was my next step in the process... to have the radiator diagnosed to see if that was working properly.

I drove the RR this weekend and one day, i just drove it maybe 10 miles with absolutely no problem. Today, i drove it for a longer period of time; basically all day. Ran just fine for most of the day, but on the last drive home, the temperature gauge started to act up again and was fluctuating and then steadly rose to the red line. Once i pulled in the driveway, I popped the hood and it didn't seem like it was all that hot, but what do i know. Again, no noticeable loss of coolant.

I did notice a couple of new things though.... after the car hasn't been driven for a while, maybe overnight or a couple of days... when i start the ignition, there seems to be a large amount of white smoke that comes out of the exhaust pipes for a good 4-5 seconds. i'm not sure if this might be a related issue or not, but if anyone could possible give me ideas what may be causing that and whether or not this is something i should be concerned with. The other thing that i noticed is this.... when i step on the accelerator, there seems to be a kind of a rattling noise coming from the general vacinity of where the glove compartment/expansion tank is located. My educated guess might be that there are some loose impediments in the cooling system? I am a complete novice when it comes to autos, so please, any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you~~

TheoR, PLEASE keep me updated on your progress in your search for answer for your issue.

upboardin, i am a complete newbie to this site... who is scotty? lol

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well, looks like my issue is a clogged radiator. I have been chronicling my repair endeavor in sydneyman's post, so you might want to take a peek in there as well. I have flushed my cooling system and used a cleaning agent as well. After the treatment, my RR's been behaving. Just for good measure, I will be replacing my radiator. As for white smoke that you're describing, is it steam or burnt oil? On a cold morning, you do notice a bit of white steam coming out of the exhaust pipe for a minute or so. One test you may want to do is, when you notice the temp rising towards the red zone, turn off the engine and check the radiator top hose (the large hose that goes into the radiator from the engine on the top side of the radiator), by squeezing the pipe with your hand. If it is real hot and rock hard, your cooling system is over-pressurized. This can be caused by a clogged cooling line (main culprit is usually a clogged radiator), or you have a headgasket leak. One test you can do to check if you have a headgasket leak is a hydrocarbon tester. You can buy it at a local NAPA store. Part number for the kit is BK 700-1006.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had similar issues when mine was clogged, I started keeping track of ambient temperatures, I noticed that everything was fine until the ambient temps were above 55-60f, beyond that the radiator could not dissipate the heat efficiently enough and the needle would start to rise.

There is a test you can do, drain and pull the radiator, fill it with water and measure the amount that it could hold. (I dont remember the amount of water a healthy radiator should hold, but it's on the forum somewhere)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
have you guys tried pressure washing your radiators from the back side. it will flush out any dirt and crap that could be clogged in there.

I replaced my radiator last year because the nipple broke off. I used a new OEM radiator. Its not a hard job to do. When I pulled the radiator it was full of crap. I never had overheating issues, but it was still winter, but if there isn't sufficient air flow, it will cause it to get hot.

have you checked the quality of your antifreeze? if its old and in bad condition it could also cause cooling issues.

·
Registered
897 Posts
white smoke...bad...burning coolant out the back. this usually means headgasket b/c that is the only place you can get coolant into the combustion chambers. check the coolant for combustion gasses with a kit.

for those of you with a clogged radiator and are considering buying a new one, I highly recommend Scotty's all aluminum radiator which has greater cooling capacity and a metal nipple that will not break off. I believe it is worth the slight premium over an OEM. Be wary of the chinese knockoffs on ebay. There are quite a few stories of them lasting 6 months to a year and then breaking/leaking.

rr_radiator_flat1.jpg
rr_radiator_nipple.jpg

you can buy it from scotty here:
http://www.socalusedroverparts.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts