RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys picked up a 99 bosch 2 months ago thinking it was a bad idea but this site has saved me alot of money. Not new to rovers own a 04 freelander and got rid of a modded disco(big mistake) but on till the next. So I did a new to me maintance like brakes, tune-up, and fluids. When changing the diff fluids the front was a metallic milk. Very thick stuff and the magnet plug was covered in metal slugde. So I drain and filled with the 75w90 gear oil as per rover. Gonna drive it a few days then redue it to clean it up some more. Now the rear was **** near empty. While changing the rear brakes I notice fluid behind the brake sheild. Now I know. So I change it out and now my rear wheel is smoking from time to time. Is this fluid flamable? Could this just be a seal to replace. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
A few factors to consider here, 1 milky fluid sounds like it got water, in fact I'd say it did and possibly due to 2 things.
1 breather pipe is diconnected or is holes somewhere
2 side shaft seals worn, this will also allow water to enter.

Metal flakes can be caused by low quality oils used or lack of changing, I see this all the time but its usually black.
Here I refill with 80W90 as its a GL5, our 75W90 here is a GL4 which is not as good...depends.

I'd drive for say a 100k's or miles and drop the oil.

Rear seems like you have side shaft seals gone but have you kept a eye on the brake fluid

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Our rear seal is leaking a bit and it ends up on the wheel rim. Note that a member on here had fluid leaking after seal change because it can hide in there and finally it will stop leaking, so don't do it twice if its done well the first time. Our oil has not caught on fire. I suppose its possible and a good point that we really should keep an extinguisher with us. Would likely be a good idea to clean area and see how much is leaking. Ours has done about 1/2 cup or so over 2 years. I believe on fill ,diff should be at normal height, since diff rotates slightly at different settings and changes the'full' point.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You might want to ensure its diff fluid that is leaking and not brake fluid. My front pinion seal leaked for about a month till I replaced it. It was spraying diff fluid all over the exhaust manifold, never once did it smoke. It did how every smell like yellow stone national park when I got out lol. Its a good thing you replaced the fluid, that rear diff would have failed very rapidly at the wrong level.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. It seems to be the shaft seal. Gonna check it every week untill I get it replaced. Funny thing is that it was not smoking cause of the fluid that I thought was leaking but from the caliper. Its starting to seize up and riding with the brake on. Not all the time though. Gonna change it before it ruin my brand new pads/rotors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts