RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted y'all to know.

Last year I replace the radiator, water pump and thermostat on my 98 RR. I used all the orginal hose clamps except for one. For the last week or two I noticed the water in the overflow tank was about 8ozs low. A little less than a bottle of spring water.Every other I day was adding water. No water was dripping under the engine while it was hot and not water dripping when the engine was off.
Today I found my leak. It was leaking from the only new hose clamp I installed last year. I tightened the clamp one turn and the clamp was tight. I know I tightened when it was installed, but I guess the cold weather made a differnece. I still have the original spring clamp and I'll replace the new adjustable clamp with one that will remain tight. I had put cardboard under he engine several nights but no spots so it didn't leak every day.

It was socketed tight but not over tight when I put the new clamp on. I guess the hot and cold, hot and cold made a tiny leak. The leak started when it got below 30 degrees.

Hope it helps someone else

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
The problem with jubilee clips is they don’t put the same pressure equally all round, refit the spring clip or buy a new one, yes there a pain, but if you invest in the correct tool there a synch to swap out.
it sounds likely the drip is when hot so it evaporates on the heat side of things,so a good job finding it

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,433 Posts
I am not a big fan of jubilee clips. I have replaced most of mine with constant tension hose clamps. They need to be sized correctly to work but are a cinch to take on and off with the right tool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts