RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to force the tranny into 1st gear via power to the shift solenoids? I built a competition buggy with a 98 rover power plant and drivetrain and due to the amount of components I didn't use the tranny is in limp mode and will not go into 1st gear.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks it has the stock zf automatic transmission

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
Without knowing what you used, what is factory and what is bodged and what you left out there is no way we can answer. There is alot of communications that need to be in place and properly operating. There simply is not enough info to even begin. You need fault free ECUs in place. If the transmission ECU shows a fault it will resort to 3rd gear. Until the fault is rectified and cleared it's goinna stay in limp mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pretty much used everything from the donor vehicle and transferred it to the buggy chassis with the exception of the ABS system the ride height system and all the interior amenities. I'm just curious if there's a way to add switches that will activate and deactivate the correct shift solenoids to get first gear and or reverse without having to go through the transmission controller itself. I know other transmissions I've used in the past I can manually activate the first gear shift solenoids and it will automatically shift out of first when the transmission pressure gets high enough

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or is it possible to use a different transmission and tcase from another vehicle that will mate to this 4.0 motor

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
You are wanting to manually shift like you can with a 4L60 etc.
As far as I know, no other transmission will bolt right up.
I used a LS motor with a 4L60E trans in my own Rover. Lots easier to find information and get parts for, not to mention 385hp etc. rofl.
There will be a way to shift manually with 5 volts (IIRC), but the pins will take some looking into

Martin

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
"pretty much"? I would read RAVE as to what is supposed to be energized at the tranny for 1st and reverse. You are in uncharted territory for most people here. The few folks that have tried to get engine and tranny sets to work in other vehicles have never completed the projects

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
You'll also need too much stuff to be worthwhile, to make the trans work as it did before. I'm kinda confused why you picked such a motor/trans/transfer case for a buggy. Yeah, they are light, but pretty much zero support on this side of the pond.
An option to get full functionality now I think about it, is a stand alone trans controller. Jegs, Summit, etc sell them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't think about a stand alone controller. I used the rover because I had it already and it would not pass emissions after the last electrical fire that caused me to spend a few months rewiring about 8 miles of the harness lol. I will have to dig out all the Rave manuals that I have printed off and go through the schematics and see what I can come up with

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
ashcroft transmissions has a system tuned for the zf E line of transmissions, it is called compushift and allows you full control of a 22 or 24 electronic transmission.
or you could mate a zf 22 non electronic out of a discovery 1 or range rover classic, they are a straight bolt on swap.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Surely if you have Engine & Gearbox ECU's connected, you could do a diagnostic to see what's wrong . . . .and maybe resolve the issue ?

The connections to BECM are Engine Speed & 2 x diagnostic lines that also connect to diag-socket.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
The trouble is the OP can't answer what was used and not out of the Rover. He also had an engine fire with lots of wiring damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The diagnostic system was eliminated years ago when the rewire was done. After doing some more research I'm leaning towards the fact that the ABS system I did not use and the O2 sensors. Prior to doing the swap vehicle ran fine with no issues. There was no engine fire the electrical fires were in the doors and a few other places interior wise I decided to rewire **** near the entire vehicle to run with just a basic necessities + engine and tranny component

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
When I was doing my LS swap, I tried using the Rover trans, even had it rebuilt.
Besides the fact that the LS motor ate it for breakfast one day, totally destroying the thing, this is what I came up with for required inputs.
TPS from the motor. Engine running from the crank signal. Speed signal from the transfer case vss. Brake switch signal. XYZ switch working correctly.
That was pretty much it if the trans is happy to begin with.
Have a look at some UK sites, where they put those into Bowler chassis' etc.

Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts