RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 P38 drain plug for the AC unit keeps getting stopped up. It floods the drivers side and runs out the door after soaking the carpet.

I thought about putting a small pipe inside the plug, about 1.5 inch long just to keep the drain open. Has anyone found a better way to keep the drain the drain from flooding the floor?

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Is it the drain getting blocked or is it that the flexi hose isn't seated properly so the water is getting out before it gets to the drain? Pull the centre console side panel off and make sure it is properly seated.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
dust and pollen is pulled in by the fans past the dust filter in the center cowling, (looks like a piece of foam) this eventually settles at the bottom of the hvac box, when the a/c condensates, the accumulated dust and pollen become mud. as it leaves the hvac box it tends to clog the drain.
with vehicle cold, crawl under then looking up to the transmission tunnel around the bellhousing you should find the drains one on each side of transmission bell housing.
from factory they had a tip with a 4 way cut, remove and clean but if you want to leave them off permanently it does not hurt (it is supposed to keep bees and other small insects from crawling in there). if they have been removed you are somewhat ahead of the game, then go back inside and with a blow gun blow out the drain tube (not to the inside of hvac box).
repeat at least twice a year based on driving conditions specially if very dusty. the inside is accessed as Richard G is suggesting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stick a probe into the drain plug and the water comes pouring out underneath. The cross cut at the opening keeps sticking together and sealing the drain plug. It's like I need to put some navel jelly on it to keep it from sticking closed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pure clean water comes out, no milky mucus, the very tip seals so thinly but causes a mess in the cabin floor

·
Registered
480 Posts
Maybe stick an open cable grommet in the four petals, stops them closing and means you have the option of reversing the mod/ changing the size of grommet. I haven't done this myself, just strikes me as do-able

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Maybe stick an open cable grommet in the four petals, stops them closing and means you have the option of reversing the mod/ changing the size of grommet. I haven't done this myself, just strikes me as do-able
why do that when you can remove them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided to try a 6" Tye Wrap, as we called it at BellSouth. It's also called a Cable Tye in some areas.

It's a strap that tyes to itself to hold things almost forever.
I'm going to to insert the head of the tye wrap just into the drain plug. The drain plug openings are still soft and the"Tye" is very lightweight. The wind during traveling should keep the 6" Tye wiggleing enough to maintain a small opening in the plug when needed.

Romanrod had the first idea if his cable "Grommet" is the same thing as my "Tye Wrap."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts