RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please help me. I have P38 1998 automatic. Vehicle vibrating over 60 miles per hour. Told it could be torque converter? Is this correct?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
496 Posts
start with the universals first , you have to remove them (tail shafts) to remove the gearbox anyway. a quick grease might help.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Vibration at or around 60 mph is usually rear wheels out of balance. You'll feel it through the seat rather than through the steering (which would be front wheels) and you'll probably find you can drive through it and it'll stop at about 70. Torque converter wouldn't be road speed related but engine speed related.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd also check the prop shafts for their phasing alignment. If they have been apart, they could have been assembled out of phase and that would give a vibration.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
+1 on U joints.
These things really are hard on them, and no one greases them as much as necessary.....Myself included! The over 60 vibration was just what I had. I checked them, and found the front to be completely totaled, as in a few more miles, and I would be looking at a new tranny and or transfer case when it disintegrated and became a flailing pipe!.
RR Toadie says "Grease them whenever you change the oil"...........(You have to change the oil? 8-0=)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts