RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, car back on t’road after hitting a tree last December all ok but yesterday had to refill daughters water bowser for her 2 horses. Youngest son was manoeuvring and abs & traction control failure message came on dash switched off then restarted and all clear. During reversing to hook up the bowser eas failure message came-up and height could not be changed. Topped up the bowser and 4 hours later all seems well. Temps at the field was 31c. Need to find my xtreme cables to check for fault codes but any silly boy ideas?

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
instruments off seems a loose connection on the BECM or fuse box. 31 C is as hot as here so maybe the car was getting hotter than you were aware and some water from the expansion tank spilled on the connectors under it I would check all connections round BECM and fuse box. Multimeter is your friend :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Not too "odd" if you look at what was going on. Maneuvering around the paddock the brakes would have been being applied very frequently. Same with backing. A soggy accumulator tank would give you the results you described. Further, if the engine was shut off, upon restarting, the system needs to see a bit of distance and speed on the wheel sensors to turn off the ABS and TC lights. Again, in the paddock, you would never go far enough or fast enough for the lights to go out. When the Eas failed to work, were any doors or the back window, tailgate open? Anything even ajar will stop it working. Was the rig parked at an odd angle? Maybe a sensor is going dodgy and the potentiometer in the sensor was on a "Bad bit" of it's travel. You should be able to check all the sensors when you find the cables for the FM. To test the accumulator, with engine running, simply press the brake firmly a few times in rapid succession. The lights should not come on. The pump should only be cycling on after several presses. If it comes on with one or 2 presses. Soggy accumulator.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
okay.. maybe misunderstood, I thought the dash had switched itself off :) after eading it again there is more sense in what Bolt say, Ijust have to add some "," in the sentences

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers gents I have noticed the abs kicks in way too easily so maybe accumulator on its way hope to locate my cables and run diagnostics

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If by "ABS", which you note kicking in easily, you mean the Brake booster pump is running like every time you press the brake, then Yep! It will want a new accumulator. Good news here is that it is about the easiest fix on a Rangie, and does not cost a fortune either. Get one, turn off key, press brake pedal about 30 times to be sure all is depressurized, unscrew old one (Use 2 wrenches) install new one, and done. You should not need to bleed the system even!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts