RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96' 4.6 HSE that I just purchased and put on the road after it was sitting for over a year. 151K miles. It had some initial problems such as needing a fuel pump, MAF sensor. ign wires. LOF, etc.. I also ran some GM top engine cleaner through the intake to clean out carbon deposits. At first it ran great, then out of nowhere it developed a serious lifter noise. After sitting overnight the noise went away and I drove it again all day no problems. Even towed my other Rover 250 miles with it and it was smooth and strong. Then the noise came back, the oil was really cruddy after only about 500 miles, so I did another oil change with some good high detergent deisel oil and added some sea foam to the oil and gas. Cleared up the noise immediately and I drove it the next day no problems. Today after a short drive into town it started running rough, no power, no lifter noise, seemed to be running very rich, smoking from exhaust, smells like fuel not oil. Barely made it home, had to keep RPM's up to keep from stalling, when I finally parked it, it would idle ok but was smoking pretty bad and smelled like it was dumping raw fuel into the exhaust. Any ideas?
just did a compression ck and have listed the values below. My other 96 4.6 is showing a consistent 160 psi across all 8 cylinders. Not sure if the low compression is due to excessive fuel in the cylinders washing out the oil and thereby lowering compression. Also have noticed a lifter tick now on the passenger side cyl head which is where it has always been, though nothing like it was before the oil change.

125 psi 140
120 140
125 135
100 125

front

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
As I started reading my guess was on the injectors. I had a 99 gl '73 model saab and when the injectors did not shoot right it would not run properly. {and intermittent] Thanks for this info since it adds to the collective knowledge re trouble shooting issues. Were you able to get reworked ones or did you buy the new injectors mentioned on this site @ $35 ea. Any issues to be aware of during re and re?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts