RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I go out & try to start her up and she wont turn over. I notice the gas light is on so I get a jug and add 1 gal of 93. Nothing. I add another gal of 93. Nothing. I add another gal of 93, still nothing but now the needle just about on 1/4 tank.

Now the battery's dead from all of the cranking.

Today I return the battery to Autozone for a new one and buy a fuel filter ans some fuel sytem cleaner. I realized that in the past few weeks, whenever I rev the engine then let off of the throttle, she will stall and sometimes cut off. So I thought, fuel filter.

Just replaced the fuel filter and she still won't turn over. I depressed the Shraeder valve on the fuel rail and some fuel came out. Then I had my wife try to start her while pressing the gas pedal and no fuel came out of the Shraeder valve. Could this mean a bad fuel pump?

How do I check to see if the fuel pump is getting current? I checked the fuses & switched out the relay in the fuse box under the hood but still nothing. Please help as I would like to try to avoid having her towed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you put it ignition in the III position, you should hear a humming noise coming from the tank, that is the fuel pump priming the injectors. If you do not hear anything, then you might have a blown fuse, or faulty fuel pump. I am leaning towards a faulty fuel pump because, it was stalling out not too long ago. Also, do not get the abs pump hum confused with the fuel pump. Wait until the abs pump stops and then turn the ignition off and then to III again, the abs pump will probably not engage and you will be able to hear the fuel pump better. If you hear the pump and still do not get any pressure, the pump is bad, but repairable. If you are mechanically inclined, replacing the fuel pump should not be a terribly hard task (It will take a patience and you will smell like gas afterward).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've changed the fuses in the fuse box in the engine as well as lifted the rear seat and put my ear to the area where the pump is while my wife turned the key to position 3 and i didn't hear anything.

·
Registered
701 Posts
most likely a dead pump then. Check the connections to the pump first, they can get loose sometimes.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
bigbris1 said:
Looks like I'll be cutting into the floor pan, then. Thanks.
I think you'll find it less hassle to drain tank and drop down, not a big issue............mmmmmm well now..

But before going mad if Im not mistaken the fuel pump shares the same earth as the number plate lighting, just a thought
or should I now go away

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've recently had a problem with my '95 4.0 not turning over. Put the key in, all the lights came on but turn it and nothing...

Luckily for me it was stuck in the secure yard at work so could happily take my time searching on here and using RAVE for possible culprits. Made myself a lovely long list of things to check... 2 days of head scratching later I stll couldn't figure out what the problem was...

...then I noticed it was in 'Drive'.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem I'm going to have dropping the tank is that I'm angle parked on the street and without the truck turning over I can't raise it to High mode. Also, I will check to make sure the plate lights are working.

There is only less than 5 gallons in the tank, so I think I will try dropping the tank, I've just got to get some proper jack stands and another jack to hold the tank up. Also, I purchased a fuel pump motor kit from ebay for $75 shipped. Hope all works out as it will suck this weekend without being able to use it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I checked the rail and when I pressed the Shraeder valve after trying to crank it a few times and fuel came out. What else could it be? I know there's fuel going to the rail so I guess the next step is to check to see if I'm getting a spark?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked the spark and started it with starter fluid. She fired right up and I got her into High mode. So I'm guessing it's the fuel pump motor. My mechanic said $150 for dropping the fuel tank. I'm going to try to do this on my own but at least I have a backup plan.

PS: The only thing I hate about this forum is how long the replies take to come. Obviously some of us need immediate responses, but I guess Range Rover owners have better things to do.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
bigbris1 said:
PS: The only thing I hate about this forum is how long the replies take to come. Obviously some of us need immediate responses, but I guess Range Rover owners have better things to do.
:lol: OMFG you have got to be kidding. :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts