RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a series of problems this summer that very nearly led me to turn in my girl (Fergie) to Cash for Clunkers, I decided to rescue her and had a bunch of work done at the British Rover Company in Pompano Beach, FL. Norman and Erich were great, my girl looks like new, and drives (almost) like new.

I know that the RRC will never be mistaken for a race car but I remember having more power than I do now...it just feels like something's holding it back. Florida is pretty flat, and 95% of the time Fergie drives great, but now when I get to the slightest incline, like going over a bridge, she just can't seem to keep up without my having to really mash the accelerator to force a downshift.

Before Florida, I was in Rochester, NY and northern NH and ME...with plenty of hills and mountains, and I never felt that power was an issue. So, I don't really know what to check...everything seems to be running smoothly.

The one issue I have that has been present for a while now is the occasional almost-stall when started hot. She starts great cold, but when driven for 5 minutes or so then turned off for a few minutes, she falters when I go to restart and I sometimes have to give a little gas to smooth out the idle. BTW, I've already cleaned the stepper motor...

Any thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well stumbling under load seems to be the problem here...several potential culprits

A) Check the fuel pressure [fuel filter?]
B) Check ignition components [ign coil, ign module, plugs, and wires are suspect]
C) Check air filter [could be clogged]

How is your fuel economy? might help narrow down the cause a bit

·
Registered
345 Posts
You mentioned a series of problems, its never one thing with rovers, its always a series of things. further than that, if you let some problem go long enough it will cause many problems down the road Ive had power problems at 125,000-150,000 mi from o2 sensors, and clogged cats, once again multiple problems. On the other hand, changing plug wires made a huge difference another time i had power problems. My rules are, buy 1 or 2 spare cars for trouble shooting parts, check everything twice, replace everything. Also, it just occured to me, from driving for years in Miami ,that heat kills batterys coils and plug wires from under hood heat, it might help to remove hood insulation, to cool things a bit.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
As previously mentioned there are any numbers of causes to your symptoms. Give us an idea of how recently the car has had new ignition and fuel related components.

Also remove the spark plugs and report on their condition, black and sooty? White? Oily? Grey and good?

I second most of what has already been said, apart from maybe buying another couple of cars, although i can see the point :wink:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
25 Posts
Sounds like your Fergie is doing just what my 95 Classic is doing. If you get her fixed, can you please let me know what worked?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts