RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 County LWB (205,000 miles) sprung a huge leak yesterday. Appears to be on right side rear of engine, vicintity of just above the starter. Don't have access to my factory manuals today. Can anyone tell me if there's a freeze / frost plug in this area, and how difficult it is to replace? Must the engine be removed to gain access? (I realize I haven't actually determined the real location--must go fetch the poor thing tomorrow and tow her home). Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think there is but it also sounds exactly the same as my LSE's blown head gasket. Exactly the same place and dropping coolant like a waterfall espescially when hot. Apparently that is a weak spot on the gasket. Either way it is going to be a big job. :(

:pray:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Head gaskets usually develope slowly , with plenty of time for denial. A gushing leak seems more likely to be a rusted freeze plug finally letting go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It indeed was a huge letting-go. Nothing at all beforehand. Leak appeared to be well below the cylinder head.

Anybody done this job before? And can it be done in place--or must I pull the engine out?

Thanks

Bob Besal

·
Registered
665 Posts
both my 3.9s leak at the top of the intake connecting to the head, both fixed when I snugged up the bolts. for some reason it seemed like my intake manifold loosened up. but it was gradual. MAybe your radcap is defective and doesnt release excess pressure all of a sudden. cheap to test

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I pour in coolant, engine cold, and not running, it pours out at rear of engine......lower right hand side...
Not seeping--pouring.. :-(

·
Registered
665 Posts
the heater cores are plastic in about the same area. major pain to do though. 15 year old plastic fittings, may have look down as far behind the engine, follow the 2 1 inch hoses from the passenger side

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished fetching the girl tonight. Heater core hoses may be a possibility. Nothing inside the cabin--all outside, but sure a good place to start. At first blush, it just seemed to be coming from higher than where I would have thought the hoses would be. Maybe I'm too focused on the plugs... Thanks for the leads.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You need someone to pour in water while you feel around behind engine. It's tight behind engine but you can fit behind it . Also if you suspect heater core or hoses you can buy a pre bent hose, u shaped, and connect to metal heater lines, you'll have no heater but can drive car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts