Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 95 Range Rover SE 4.0. When I bought it there were a few problems with it, I did the standard oil change and ran engine flush through it first (of course), also replaced the fuel filter. Then I took it out for a ride to see what she could do. Came back home NO problem, however the next morning.... It wouldn't turn over or stay running for more than 5 seconds here and there. Found out my timing was off due to my excessive acceleration and letting off the gas so quickly. Just now recently replaced the timing gears and chain... It did NOT fix the problem, so I got a new oil pump too since the old one was grooved about .003 and rough around the edges (mine as well since everything is open) also replaced the plugs since I was replacing things. Still No start...then found out 4 out of the 8 fuel injectors were clogged / bad, so those four got replaced, and still NO start... So finally came to the conclusion that it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Got it, installed it, and BOOM, it worked...ONCE! then we took and re-did the timing to find we were 180 degrees off with the Cam, so put it back together and it worked now for a few times, for a few minutes! So now it's colder out and I replaced the plugs and wires with NO JOY!!

Using an OBD II computer, and it says 0 Codes, occasionally it will through a Misfire code in there

Plugs are wet and full of carbon, I have now gone back to the old plugs and wires trying to figure out what is going on... I need the vehicle up like..... 2 months ago ... any Ideas? Oh, and the coils all measure the same resistance, and fuel pressure was good at approx 38 psi, it held it while the engine was running, and slowly dropped off over 30 minutes or so where it leveled off at 20 psi for a while, then eventually it bled to 0. HELP Please!!!

P.S. what is that **** buzzing noise under the dash by the passenger side near the radio?

G

·
Hmmm... looks like you are having fun... cam gear/oil pump etc and you are checking all the 'right' things, too, but still it is running like a tractor... ?

Similarly with the replaced injectors... as there seemed to be some serious overfuelling (which may be due to the fuel pressure dropping off and the ECU is compensating - badly ?); At least you managed to run for 30 min. but that slow pressure drop does sound like a blocked filter and/or a bad pump.. ?? Seriously leaky injectors can dump fuel rapidly (and kill Cats, too) of course.

The engine also has to run for some time for DTCs to show up, unfortunately.

[As a new CKP worked once check it has not been hit by one of the teeth:
This can happen if the CKP spacers are not used/set up properly.]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So today I go out to "The Beast" and I look at the 2 sensors coming out of the Plenum... took of what I came to find was the Throttle Position Sensor just to find that one of the teeth inside was cracked to the point of being useless, so that is on order. Also had a look at the Idle control valve.. was full of carbon but not too bad, so cleaned it w/ foaming de-greaser and carb. cleaner. Also talked with a guy that had dealing with Rovers before and he is thinking possible vacuum leak near where the block and plenum join together, there was NO sealant or gasket on any part of the plenum when it was taken off.... IS there anything Needed there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least you managed to run for 30 min. but that slow pressure drop does sound like a blocked filter and/or a bad pump.. ?? Seriously leaky injectors can dump fuel rapidly (and kill Cats, too) of course.]
No it has not run that long.. it would bog out after like 5 mins.... the Fuel pressure and drop was after it had stopped running

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Beast is in the Land Rover shop... We'll see what's wrong, and will post the results when I get them....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts