RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question about the tilt steering on our rovers. The tilt steering on my soft dash seems very limited. It is what looks to me like almost all the way up, however, if you push the adjust lever up and try to tilt the wheel it only goes down by a tiny, tiny bit. It moves such a small distance that there is literally no purpose for it. If I take the covers off of the column, I can see the groves and locking system on the bottom of the column responsible for the tilt steering but the actual used portion of the teeth is very small. It looks like it could move the full sweep but something is stopping it.

Just wondering if this very limited sweep of the tilt steering is normal or if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read a thread several years ago where a guy (in Oregon or Washington, as I recall) did some grinding on his and increased the travel significantly. Always thought to give it a try myself but never have gotten around to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't try it on an installed unit in any case, it's a bit too complicated for that. I happen to have a spare '95 column which I plan to swap into my '91 at some point so I suppose that could be considered a spare. And since a '95 is the same as a DI column (and either the same or close to a DII) there are spares out there to work with.
I found the thread I was talking about. It's pretty long and involved, he did a lot of modifications including lowering the seats and goes into quite a bit of detail. The tilt column modification starts on post #50.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?19302-The-Rolling-Restoration-amp-Customization-Of-My-88-RRC&highlight=tilt+column

1 - 5 of 5 Posts