RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, issue with my 95. Ever since I got it this thing has got atrocious mileage and I've noticed a very gassy smell from the exhaust with the windows open at a stop sign.

Recently I blew a gasket between the y-pipe and the passenger manifold. So I took the y-pipe off and disconnected the o2 sensors. I had to move the rover before I was done so I fired it up. Apart from being a bit loud, it ran the exact same. I expected a check engine light but nothing. Shouldn't something come on or change when I run it with the o2's disconnected? This makes me wonder if they're even doing anything at all for adjusting the fuel trim. Thoughts?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It probably didn’t notice that the sensors were unplugged because until the engine has warmed up it the ecu doesn’t look at the readings.

Have you got diagnostics? Check the readings from the sensors when the engine is warm and see if one or both of them are out of range. Also check the MAF is giving smooth and consistent feedback as the engine revs are increased and decreased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Make sure the 'check engine' lights at all. It should throw a code very quickly without an O2 reading. Turn the key on and look for the yellow light (not the service engine light, if any). It should turn off after a few seconds after the bulb check. If that works, you should be getting an O2 code in under a minute after starting I would think.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the bulb is good and comes on with the bulb check. After making some new gaskets and getting the broken stud out, I put the y-pipe back on but left the O2's disconnected. Let it warm up fully and drove around a bit. No light. Eventually I just plugged them back in.

Today I drove it to town and home then later back to town. In town the second time the engine light came on. The onboard diagnostic code is 50 which is a misfire on the left bank. This correlates to the inconsistency I heard coming from the exhaust manifold on the left side while driving it with no y-pipe.

The misfire is obviously a separate issue from an O2 sensor but it still doesn't change the fact that the computer doesn't seem to be aware of the O2's at all.

I will download rovergauge and make a cable to see what I can see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts