Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i've been having starting problems on my 95 LWB for about 2 months now, one day i parked my car after coming back from home, and then it wouldn't start anymore. A couple days later, i bought a new battery and it started but it was hesitating until about a month ago, it just wouldn't start anymore and i ordered a new starter. I just finished installing it and i get nothing now, i don't know where to go now, i have 12.62 v, i have cuntinuity from battery to starter, i also saw there was a black wire (couldn't really see at night) which runs from the chasis but am not sure if it's supposed to go through the starter bolt and into the block.

Now i've been hearing everyone talking about a starter relay located in the firewall which could be the problem, and there's also a 60 amp fuse by the washer reservoir but don't know how to check it or if that will affect anything. I really would like to get my car running again, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, when you try to start what happens exactly? please discribe every detail.

When you turn the key - any klicks?

The black cable goes down to the chassis indeed. Ground wire. Check this for functionality.

Next step check the thin cable which goes to the starter. is it there on the spate connector? if yes, do you get current when you turn the key to start?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
burne said:
Ok, when you try to start what happens exactly? please discribe every detail.

When you turn the key - any klicks?

The black cable goes down to the chassis indeed. Ground wire. Check this for functionality.

Next step check the thin cable which goes to the starter. is it there on the spate connector? if yes, do you get current when you turn the key to start?
When i try to start i get nothing, i did put a volt meter to the small wire and i got 12 volts while trying to crank. It doesn't click o anything, i'm leaning towards the neutral safety switch, but i don't know how it would affect anything since it was just cranking very slow and it just stopped cranking.

I still have 12 volts @ the battery, all the electrical on the car works fine i.e.: lights, windows, sunroof, radio. the car just won't crank. unless the started i just got or the new battery are defective.

But i tried to bench test the old starter and it was dead, thanks in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, here's another one for you:

Connect a cable to the little spate connector on your starter solenoid. After that just connect for a short time the other end to the positive pole of the battery.

Ideally the starter starts spinning now.
Half-ideally you can hear the starter solenoid engaging.

If the starter spins - the trigger electrics are goofed (start looking between starter switch at key and the starter solenoid)
If the solenoid engages but the starter doesnt spin - check the primary cables around the battery/alternator (basicly every fat cable in the engine bay.)

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
373 Posts
There seems to be a rash of ignition tumbler problems this week. Check your ignition switch and make sure it is in tact. If the electrical connection isn't happening at the key you obviously won't get anything when you turn the key.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i got 12 volts @ the small black wire while trying to crank, i had continuity from positive battery cable to the cable going to the starter and has no resistance, i tried to bench test the starter and i got the wheel to spin but not to push out as if it were to engage the flywheel. i don't know where else to go.

I've done everything 2-3 times already i'm going crazy, lol. Last 3 options, new battery is no good, new starter is no good, or park/neutral safety switch. I've also thought about the anti-theft system, but when i got the truck it had been sitting for about 7-8 months and it cranked right up with a new battery,

Also there's a switch under the passenger seat where the codes display is and i was playing with it and don't know which way it's supposed to go and i'm not sure if it would affect anything.

I'm running in circles and don't know what to do next.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone else got anything?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Guys, aren't we starting at the wrong end talking about the ignition switch. He's already said he has a 12v feed to the solenoid when he turns the key. That's all the ignition switch does for the starter. It also rules out any starter relays, transmission switches, anti-theft systems etc.
If you have a (good) live at the solenoid wire when turning the key to the start position, a good clean positive feed from battery to the (correct) starter terminal and a good clean earth, it must be the starter motor that's at fault.
Regards,
Pete.

·
Registered
70 Posts
bagospanners said:
Guys, aren't we starting at the wrong end talking about the ignition switch. He's already said he has a 12v feed to the solenoid when he turns the key. That's all the ignition switch does for the starter. It also rules out any starter relays, transmission switches, anti-theft systems etc.
If you have a (good) live at the solenoid wire when turning the key to the start position, a good clean positive feed from battery to the (correct) starter terminal and a good clean earth, it must be the starter motor that's at fault.
Regards,
Pete.
Agreed!

Please test the starter and the starter solenoid!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.