Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got my 95 LWB back on the road after sitting for about 4 years with a blown head gasket. Since replacing the head gasket (heads machined, new valve seals, all top end gaskets replaced) its begun to have a hard start problem when hot and cold, cranking enough and fluttering the throttle will get it to start eventually. Once running it’ll do fine for a little while (between 5 and 15 minutes) then it’ll lose power and won’t rev over 2000 rpm. Shutting it off and restarting will fix the problem for another 5-15 minutes. It seems to act up more when it’s hot and sunny outside (80+ degrees in Florida) I’ve already replaced the plugs, plug wires, O2 sensors, MAF, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel filter, and have an ignition amplifier on the way. I’ve also run about 5 tanks of 93 octane ethanol free gas through it since getting it running again. Did a quick google search and browse of the forums and couldn’t find anyone having this exact problem if anyone has any ideas help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd include the engine temperature sensor that reports to the ECU as well in your investigation.

It should range in resistance from cold to hold, but not changing competently can give the ECU no chance of accurate fuelling.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quick and easy check:

I would unplug the TPS and drive it a bit - when failing it will cause the 2K rpm limit issue.

If the behavior is unchanged, it could certainly be the cause.

I have a very ugly spare TPS, if you need one for a test - will want it back though! :)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Check the fuel pump assembly electrical harness connector. These tend to burn out over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the harness getting good voltage tps and rail temp sensor both checked as good. Finally put a fuel pressure gauge on it found 5 psi while cranking, pump won’t prime unless the starter is going. Pressure comes up to around 30 psi while running. Wondering if the shop I had it at last put the wrong relay in for the fuel pump…

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Checked the harness getting good voltage tps and rail temp sensor both checked as good. Finally put a fuel pressure gauge on it found 5 psi while cranking, pump won’t prime unless the starter is going. Pressure comes up to around 30 psi while running. Wondering if the shop I had it at last put the wrong relay in for the fuel pump…
How old is the fuel pump assembly?
I’ve had new ones fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts