RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
For the last few days when I get home in my Rangie, after closing the door and locking with the fob, I hear a ticking noise not unlike a geiger counter stumbling upon a radioactive object... it's reasonably loud and can be heard from at least 10 feet away.

I have to wonder if it's not something to do with the disabled EAS- when I bought the truck the previous owner had gotten the EAS replaced with coil springs of course. There is a persistent fault light on the dash for this, and from what little I know there is a bypass or tie-off that must be done with some wiring to eliminate this (the guys at Atlantic British told me 'hey sure that's all lined out on our website in the tech tips section' - damned if I can find it). Another possibility is something to do with the factory alarm system, of which I am astoundingly ignorant.

Any ideas as to whether I'm on the right track or once again at the crackpipe? The noise is pretty consistent, but only seems to happen when I stop and engage the locks after a few miles of driving...

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Anything is possible. However where is the noise coming from? Under the hood, inside the door, under the truck....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The noise seems to be coming from under the left-hand side of the truck, almost directly 'under' the driver's door, about a foot or two behind the left front wheel.

It's a loud 'ticking' noise, and very rapid - as if a solenoid were going bat-crazy trying to actuate something.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Air suspension self leveling itself. Both mine do it often. I even got asked once if my car was a bomb about to explode.

its one or more solenoids in the valve block adjusting the height of one or more of your car's air springs. You may have a leak somewhere, or it may just be leveling.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I assume your lse is a left hand drive. Under the front passenger seat at the front there should be a plug with a black wire looped from one end of the plug to the other (the eas diagnostic plug). Disconnecting this cuts the power to the eas ecu to stop it trying to level itself (even though it can't) when you turn off the car and close all the doors. This will at least rule out the existing eas system on the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the replies! I'll check that EAS loop immediately, and it makes perfect sense as I had a sneaking suspicion that the coil conversion had been a little incomplete. Maybe this will even snuff the idiot light for EAS on the dash...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts