RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 country LWB RRC.

So was driving the range today. I look down, and my temp gauge is pinned at the top. Oh Crap. I pull over, and sure enough, the coolant is boiling. I let it sit for a bit, and get some water and start to make it home. I did make, only about 5 miles away but my temp gauge rapidly rises on the way back. I can hear the coolant boiling the block. :(

So how should i go working this up. My thought is that I may have blown head gasket, or some corrosion in the block. This could able be a failed water pump. My plan is to get the radiator out and flow tested, look at the water pump and probably remove the heads and have a look. I have not checked the oil yet to see if it turned to pudding.

If the block or heads are shot, what would folks here do. the rover v8 is Ok, but not too reliable. I am leaning toward a 300TDI swap since I think the costs are going to be similar with this referb.

thanks for he help, and you will probably be seeing a lot more of me on the board asking for help. I want to keep this one going, but not 100% sure yet.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,500 Posts
How many miles are on your 4.2? At this point you very likely may have an engine rebuild or swap ahead of you. But take it one step at a time, unless you're looking for an excuse to put a diesel in your RRC, in which case you may also want to look at a MB OM617. Get the radiator checked, check the coolant for exhaust gas, check for compression loss, etc.

But if you really want a diesel RRC...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am up to 145K miles. So yea think a rebuild is in my future. and yea you are right. will have to see what I have before I move forward. I guess I will need to have to pull the heads before I know any more.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I had almost 200K on the engine. I rebuilt the heads and put in new head gaskets. Then after all the work it started mixing oil and coolant and I was through with it.

I'm working on a conversion kit for an om617 in my RRC. I'll have my latest set of adapters cut on Monday.

It fits well in the engine bay.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I had almost 200K on the engine. I rebuilt the heads and put in new head gaskets. Then after all the work it started mixing oil and coolant and I was through with it.
that sounds more like a cracked block/head. Hope this isn't the case for OP.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
heads were rebuilt, and checked, so it couldn't have been those. I didn't see any noticeable cracks in my block. Who knows. It's gone now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok, so I was flying down the highway in my 95 LWB at 70-80mph when I looked down and saw my temp gauge pegged. About 75,000 miles; truck new to me at that time. Had it flat bedded home maybe 75 miles( AAA Plus); worried about all the bad stuff; head gaskets cracked block yada, yada, yada,. First thing I pulled the radiator, had it checked, it was horrible, but looked really pretty. Got it tanked, and rodded . put it back in and went out fingers crossed. Now at 155,000 it does even sweat. Do the radiator thing first; easiest and cheapest and the odds are good you'll get it. I did install an auxiliary temp gauge which gives me real time water temperatures and that really opened my eyes to what kind of driving makes the heat rise. Mostly the loud pedal! Oh, did I mention I live in Phoenix, i.e. Hot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am struggling. I do want to keep it original, but engine is just not reliable. Just not sure what way to go. I am going to pull the radiator and have it checked. Debating on taking a chance with the heads. I have been doing the research on an engine swap. Would love to do a ls1 4l80 swap. looks like marks 4x4 has kit. Not sure about doing the transfer case have though. Would love to find someone who did this kind of swap. I really do not know much about fabricating adaptors.

·
Registered
119 Posts
before you do the heads pressure test your block to make sure you didn't slip a liner. I have done this a few times over the years and found two blocks with slipped liners.Remove the heads and make a plate to cover all four water jackets on the block bolted down where the two end head bolts would go.Drill out one plate and put a fitting that you can hook up an air hose from a compressor. Spray some soap around the liners pump in some air and see what you get, its very hard to see without the test if you get air bubbles its all over for your block. Good luck.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
I am struggling. I do want to keep it original, but engine is just not reliable.
So sort it then. They are reliable if looked after and will go for hundreds of thousands of miles. If it isn't reliable then work on that rather than ending up with a mongrel of parts that don't play nicely together.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
So sort it then. They are reliable if looked after and will go for hundreds of thousands of miles. If it isn't reliable then work on that rather than ending up with a mongrel of parts that don't play nicely together.
^^x2 to what Gilbertd said. If you take care of the 4.2, it should be just fine. Don't put the cart before the horse. Get the radiator checked first. Is the RRC new to you? If it is, don't go on the POs verbal service history. If the radiator has not been touched, go ahead and baseline it by having the radiator inspected, then rodded or recored. Otherwise put a new radiator in it. While it's out, it won't hurt to replace the hoses, thermostat and inspect/replace the water pump.

If it still overheats after you do this, then proceed with the diagnosis. Again, if you don't know the service history, it's a good idea to baseline everything, starting with the radiator.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had the rover for about a decade. It was well taken care of, but the last couple of years have not been good for the car. It does have an oil leak up front, so that could be considered neglect, and not taking car of things. I really have not been drying it much, and was going to get things fixed up this season. this is my third restoration. Did a porsche 911 and 928, and the rrc was going to be my truck. I do plan on starting with the simple stuff, and doing a compression test and well as getting the radiator flow tested. Rays Rover, I will probally reach back out on how to do the test. Sounds like something I will need to know.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I get you, I've had these types of lows during my ownership. I've always found it a bit of a love/hate relationship, and sometimes one side of the balance seems to get the upper hand. I've had times when I've been completely disillusioned, feeling it's a space in my available parking (4 spaces) that could be better filled with another vehicle. It'll go one way or the other, and time will tell. But there is probably a reason you've had it for nearly 10 years, and I'm sure there has been adversity in the past. I think once you start feeling you're getting the upper hand, you'll remember the joy of ownership.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts