Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while driving, sunroof opened by intself, also after it was parked, motor off. Can't close. tried holding buttom for 30 seconds to reset, no result. Happened the other day, after being parked overnight, sunroof operated normally...help? Tried cleaning battery terminals, everything looks good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can manually close the roof by turning the motor (using a flathead), once I turn on the ignition, the roof opens...I have temporarily disconnected the leads until solution is found. Note that this has happened 2-3 times over two years. I don't suspect a short, as the roof is opened regularly, off-road etc. Is there some sort of safety feature which auto-opens the roof?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
closed roof manually using a flathead on motor, after pulling cover. Opens again auto with ignition on. I have temporarily disconnected the leads until a solution is found. Note that this has happened a couple times over two years...

·
RIP Our Friend
27,833 Posts
THink of it just like holding a window button in the open position with the ignition off. THe moment you turn on the rig the window will open. Either your sunroof switch is failing or sticking or you have a duff wire in the circuit. With something loose/rubbing it would not need ot happen all the time, only when things bounce into just the right position. THere is a slim posibility it could be the antitrap function, but I believe that is only activated while closing an already open sunroof as it senses resistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks...I thought about that...disconnected the switch (removed), motor still operates and opens roof once ignition is turned on; so I think I ruled out the bad switch. Puzzeled how the roof would still open with the switch removed. There must be a relay or other switch in the system. To be clear; roof closed, switch removed, turn ignition on...roof opens;

·
RIP Our Friend
27,833 Posts
Yes and no. THere is a power relay for the sunroof load which is energized at all times that the ignition is on, however that would have nothing to do with your issue. In fact it shows that the relay is working properly. Sunroof operation and direction are controled by switching the ground, not the power. If you have a loose/shorted switch wire that is rubbing on the chassis/body somewhere it would ground the motor and cause it to open. It works much like the old pin switched dome lights. Power at all times, pin switch grounds when the door is opened and voila, dome light comes on. Find the chafed wire and wrap it and all should be good. Of course it's been so long since i have worked on the nightmare wiring in a Classic I may be forgetting something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
makes sense...the classic is my son's 1st car (see Rovers North Dec issue pg 10). I have owned 3 going way back; doing most all the repairs maintenance...always a challenge; (heater core in a '95 classic not such a fond memory). Now own a D-90, '99 Disco II, '08 HSE (just out of warranty) and have several classics in storage (parts cars) saved from the crusher.

Thanks for giving some direction...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.