RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the attached link for a video showing the noise.

Engine is quiet when cold and starts making the noise as it warms up. Noise is coming from top of motor around rocker covers. I'm thinking collapsed lifters.

What are your thoughts? looking to purchase this truck and doing some research to see what it will take to fix.

https://youtu.be/CBMATUIk6dc

Appreciate any and all info!!

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,480 Posts
what was the oil level and condition? Looks like a great truck otherwise, but check the usual rust areas for rust spots/softness. Often times, the rustworm starts from within, so it may appear to be solid, but if it's soft to the touch or you can easily push a pen/pencil, be prepared for rust work. Mechanically, I'd say be prepared for at least a top-end overhaul of the engine.

Forgot to mention, if you can't get the service history, be prepared to baseline the truck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Oil level was full and clean. It's a 2 owner truck that's in Southern California. No rust anywhere. Very clean. Paint is original throughout except for the hood/roof. Seller is a meticulous owner with tons of service records. Interior of the truck is is great shape as well. All complete. Complete RTE fab 3" lift with castor corrected radius arms and turned up rear trailing arms. Swivel balls replaced. LT230 installed. Nearly new winch bumper and winch. Lots of great parts. Not sure what the truck is worth with a hurt motor.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Oil level was full and clean. It's a 2 owner truck that's in Southern California. No rust anywhere. Very clean. Paint is original throughout except for the hood/roof. Seller is a meticulous owner with tons of service records. Interior of the truck is is great shape as well. All complete. Complete RTE fab 3" lift with castor corrected radius arms and turned up rear trailing arms. Swivel balls replaced. LT230 installed. Nearly new winch bumper and winch. Lots of great parts. Not sure what the truck is worth with a hurt motor.
Sounds like you should make an offer. Even though it's a CA truck, do the pen test on the rear cross member, the sills, wheel wells - front and rear. Any softness you find, is worth money in getting the price down.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Top end work is simple on these …. As others have mentioned, search for rust.

I wouldn’t worry about the tick - $2.5 - $3K - if you are paying someone to pull and rebuild the heads.

If you purchase for the right price, and it isn’t rusty – pull the motor and do a proper rebuild.

We have not seen the interior; however, it looks like a $5k -$6k truck with the tick..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Top end work is simple on these …. As others have mentioned, search for rust.

I wouldn’t worry about the tick - $2.5 - $3K - if you are paying someone to pull and rebuild the heads.
I'd set $2400 on fire before I paid that much in labor.

With the tick fixed it could fetch well beyond 10k on BaT so 6 grand isn't a bad entry price at all.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If it only has a tick
I’d try some miracle mystery oil
It can free up stuck lifters

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like a serious click/tap to me..... could need a cam too?

Rust free, in this market - $6k and rebuild the motor. The quiet cold thing would tempt me to pay more ....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info! Hoping to work a deal with the owner after the new year. Will update with what was found/fixed to address the tick.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ohh soft dash. There are a lot of parts on that you cannot get so be aware and consider that in your pricing offer.

For the lifters it is not recommended to change out just the lifters or one. You can see accelerated wear from the mismatch between old (cam) and new (lifter). So you would be looking at a new cam, which is not complicated on these engines.

It looks in lovely condition if you like black. I think this would go for more than 10k, no? Personally I hate black and find the wheels and front bumper hideous, but whatever works for you.. good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohh soft dash. There are a lot of parts on that you cannot get so be aware and consider that in your pricing offer.

For the lifters it is not recommended to change out just the lifters or one. You can see accelerated wear from the mismatch between old (cam) and new (lifter). So you would be looking at a new cam, which is not complicated on these engines.

It looks in lovely condition if you like black. I think this would go for more than 10k, no? Personally I hate black and find the wheels and front bumper hideous, but whatever works for you.. good luck and enjoy!
Yes, I am very aware. This would be my third 95 RRC. The only way to attempt to fix this would to be a complete cam/lifter swap. No one in their right mind would replace just one lifter.

I didn't think I'd like black at all but this one works for some reason. Wheels are not for me but the truck comes with the originals which I prefer. The bumper is not something I'd ever fit myself but it works on this truck.

Appreciate the feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts