RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 94 RR in for repairs of brake relief valve, and exhaust manifold gasket, and the installation of Pertronix D175520 and relocation of ignition amplifier,also I installed a new Bosch coil.
The mechanic finished all the work, got the vehicle running (timing etc.) and just as he finished with timing, the vehicle died. Mechanic is under the impression that the ECU failed because the new ignition system now will not communicate with the ECU. I need some advice.
Thank you,
Tmarsh

·
Registered
224 Posts
Er, there's practically no communication between a 14CUX and the ignition. Compared to something like Crossfire it's very "dumb".

When the ignition is turned on, the ECU briefly pressurises the fuel rail, and turns the pump\starts doing its thing on when the starter motor sends a pulse.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Had the 94 RR in for repairs of brake relief valve, and exhaust manifold gasket, and the installation of Pertronix D175520 and relocation of ignition amplifier,also I installed a new Bosch coil.
The mechanic finished all the work, got the vehicle running (timing etc.) and just as he finished with timing, the vehicle died. Mechanic is under the impression that the ECU failed because the new ignition system now will not communicate with the ECU. I need some advice.
Thank you,
Tmarsh
the ecu uses a pulse signal from the distributor in order to fire injectors, it is one wire on the mass airflow sensor harness. this wire connects to the coil.
this signal allows a secondary signal to the fuel pump relay circuit so it maintains energy to the f/p relay once the injectors begin to fire.
it is the only connection between dizzy and engine ecu. this ecu is quite robust, altho it has been know of them to fail hardly would it be due to misconnection.
last time I installed one of these dizzy's there was a light green wire on the dizzy harness which gave me similar grief.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: 94 RR Classic SWB ECU problems?

Still looking for advice.
Thank you
Tmarsh

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
You received advice 6 days ago on the 22nd. Did your mechanic find issues with the advice provided?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My engine died unexpectedly one day and wouldn’t restart. Turned out the rotor arm was shorting to earth internally. It was quite new but apparently it’s a common problem with the Lucas rotors so worth a try. Had spark to the cap but not to the plugs. Always carry a spare now. Hope you got sorted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you,
He is checking the modules now,seems that the dummy module from the relocation kit may not be a dummy.
He is rewiring the installation now.He also will be out of town for a week,so I won't know anything for a bit.
tmarsh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The RR is running now. The mechanic used my original 3 pin ign. module attached to the relocation bracket and my original coil.
Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts