Range Rovers Forum banner

94/95 RRC: Alarm ECU

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ccr2002 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm new here as an RRC owner, but have been around various Rover forums a while as a D90 owner.
I've concluded that you can't really start a 95 RRC after removing the ECU -- I want to get mine back up running so my door locks can operate via the fob.

I need to track down a replacement ECU -- which I appreciate is the same one used in the 94 and 95 Disco -- part AMR3248.
Would appreciate hearing if anyone knows of anywhere I could send mine as a core and pay for a reconditioned one - or someone who can refurbish - or where to find one that works and isn't an arm and a leg. Thanks

#2 ·
if you have a classic then yes it can be starter with out the alarm ecu, it was not until 95 that the factory started to incorporate immobilizer and alarm control into the engine electronics.
the only drawback if the alarm ecu is removed or disconnected on a classic, you loose central locking, power locks and alarm.

#4 ·
Donner I realized I made mistake when I replied, I meant 96 is the year when it begun to with immobilization. the classic stopped being made in 95 thus yours will run with out the alarm system ecu.

#5 ·
Donner I realized I made mistake when I replied, I meant 96 is the year when it begun to with immobilization. the classic stopped being made in 95 thus yours will run without the alarm system ecu.
In my 1995 CC LWB my alarm often goes off by itself, but usually when a door is opened (with or without the key). I would like to completely disable/bypass the security system. I don't have a fob (just a key) and am fine with using that key for lock/unlocking/starting and I don't need the security system working. I'm also wondering if the security system is acting as a parasitic draw on the battery as the battery is only a year old and has often been dead. I just replaced it yesterday. For now, I have pulled the fuse on the horn (my neighbors appreciate that move).

From reading several threads on this forum I'm thinking the solution may be to disconnect the Alarm ECU (don't know how to do that but am looking for instructions). I gather it would still start (it would NOT be immobilized), but I would lose power locks. Maybe it would resolve the potential parasitic draw on the battery? Are there any other drawbacks? I would prioritize the horn over power locks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.