RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'94 RRC LWB 4.2 is not starting, not cranking at all, not even clicking. When I turn key can hear what I believe is fuel pump humming. That's it. All lights and locks seem to be working. Installed new battery. Nothing changed. Nothing, not even clicking.

Some history. Recently replaced AIC valve because was idling at 1500-2000 rpm. Fault code comes on and now idling at less than 200rpm.

More history. Alternator was going out. Replacement just arrived and was to be installed today, but truck refusing to start at all now. Must be another problem.

Is there an easy way to eliminate ignition or starter/solenoid as the culprit? Am I in the ballpark? ANY help would be great.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
is there any way of bypassing the starter?
yes, the starter solenoid has a flat spade terminal connected to a red brown wire, disconnect the wire and run a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery.
at the battery, tap the end of the jumper wire on the positive terminal of the battery. this should make the starter click and if you hold this jumper at the positive terminal and if the starter is good of course it would turn over the engine... this is just a test.

now the the possible repair, if the starter is ruled out as good, make sure your shifter is well engaged in park, try starting the car with shifter in neutral.
check operation of your neutral safety switch aka XYZ switch in land rover terms. if all checks out check the starter relay, it is normally located on right side kick panel.
if all is well then suspect bad ignition switch electric connector.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are AWESOME, 95classicclwb!! I've been messing about in RR all day. I'm pretty sure that I am getting it into both Park and Neutral with no joy. Since I am getting power to the fuel pump, I am thinking that starter relay could well be the culprit. Tomorrow I am going to try to find that starter solenoid.

BTW. Are there any fuses anywhere in this mix anywhere down the line, and if so where would those puppies be?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
You are AWESOME, 95classicclwb!! I've been messing about in RR all day. I'm pretty sure that I am getting it into both Park and Neutral with no joy. Since I am getting power to the fuel pump, I am thinking that starter relay could well be the culprit. Tomorrow I am going to try to find that starter solenoid.

BTW. Are there any fuses anywhere in this mix anywhere down the line, and if so where would those puppies be?
yes a single main fuse near the coolant reservoir if I do remember correctly, but if the electronics work chances are said fuse is ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'94 LWB ~ Where Oh Where Is the Starter Relay Located?

I posted a question about this earlier. Trying to get to the starter relay, which may be under the steering wheel, behind THAT panel.
Can't seem to get THAT panel out, and not even sure that's where I will find the starter relay.

Maybe this question will get some response. Any takers?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How To Access Starter Relay - Opening Panel Question & Pics

Maybe some pics will help me clarify what I am trying to do. I am trying to get to the starter relay, which I believe is located on the driver's side, behind the knee panel, under the steering column.

Pretty sure I have all of the screws out, but panel seems to hang on the left side just above the hood pull. As I try to pull it up it seems to want to force the mid panel with the vent (see pic) to twist upward, which would damage that panel.

I've managed to get most if not all of the screws out of the steering column housing. I don't know if this must be removed first or not.

Anyone want to help me out with this. PLEASE.

View attachment 217522 20170219_141708.jpg 20170219_141652.jpg 20170219_141551.jpg 20170219_141733.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: How To Access Starter Relay - Opening Panel Question & P

You should have a copy of RAVE manual, that is in the stickies above, it will be handy , if you own Classic.
So looking at the photos, you need to remove the vent also (it pops out, there are two screws holding the wood trim on the top to the dash.
Just out of curiosity, why starter relay is the problem?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks Eugene! Here is a bit of the recent history ...

Truck is not starting, not cranking at all, not even clicking. When I turn key can hear one click and either the fuel pump or the the ABS cycling. That's it. All lights and locks seem to be working. Installed new battery 3 days ago. Nothing changed. Nothing, not even clicking.

Some history. Recently replaced AIC valve because was idling at 1500-2000 rpm. Fault code #48 was still popping and it was now idling at less than 200rpm when cold. Cranking when cold required punching the gas, but it was starting and running just fine. Then it just stopped cranking.

More history. Alternator was going out. Replacement had just arrived and was to be installed the day after it stopped cranking. But now my priority is to get the truck running.

Since battery is brand new and electrics are working and the solenoid is not even clicking, I am thinking that power fails somewhere at solenoid or relay. I'm just doing the best I can to figure this out.

I had downloaded the Rave Manual and for reasons that I have yet to grok the links seems to be broken. May have happened during some OS update. I've been to the links here to try to get a Rave manual, but none of them seem to be quite right for the "94/4.2. Perhaps I will just download a few of them and take a look.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Have you checked the fuses, with lots of cranking it could be just that. Or the starter just went bad. I would check, if you have a voltage at the starter solenoid.
Please post your find or fix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Outside of the fuse box midway down the dash, I can't find any other fuse boxes. Those fuses are pretty much for lights and accessories. If there is a fuse box under the hood I can't find it. I know that there has to be some other fuse boxes somewhere in that truck, but where?

Since it will not stop raining in Northern California, I can't get under the car to check anything right now.

Now, back to that Rave manual ... I have downloaded it anew and nothing changes. Still not working on Mac. I've just spent 2.5 hours trying to crack it and without a Windows installation, such as Parallels, I doubt very much that a Mac will open it, and it's way to big to put on my phone.

That truck has been very good to me over the years and I'm going to find a way to get it running again, but this incessant rain is not making it any easier.

·
Registered
330 Posts

To remove the lower dash, you need to pop out that vent & you'll see two more screws. Looks like you got the two lower and upper left screws but did you get the one above the dimmer too?

You can find the WSM for 87-91 here (http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/pdf-land-rover-manuals/). The 91 info may be close enough.

Regarding the no start, could be the starter relay but it sounds like you have a lot more going on. Make sure all you grounds are clean & tight and the positives from bat to starter to alt are all good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the info and the links, KK88RRC.

I am getting conflicting information about which side the starter relay is even on. I have some people telling me passenger side and some saying driver's side.

Since the passenger side is much easier to pull down, I started on that this morning, just getting the carpet pulled up before it started raining AGAIN. It has been raining almost constantly for weeks, really putting a crimp in my efforts.

I can see that I need to get under there and clean the grounds. Just need a little dry weather.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Still working on it between downpours. Managed to get that panel under the steering out. Can't get under the car, so sorting out this part first.

Looks like I can check out the starter relay (should be yellow) and eliminate one more thing. guts.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where Is Crank Fuse #50 RRC '94 ~ No Glove Box In This Truck

I am still trying to get my truck to crank. So far, nothing.

I am told that I need to find that starter fuse, and P106?
I keep seeing people talking about interior fuse box, but I cannot for the life of me find such a thing.
Can't find any fuse boxes in the engine compartment either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: Where Is Crank Fuse #50 RRC '94 ~ No Glove Box In This T

Is there anything right of the radio........pop of the cover, fuses should be there. '94 no fuses behind glove box or engine compartment. There are some fuses and relays under the seats...for the seats and fuel shutoff. As I remember there were some issues of no starting due to some alarm problem. You did not have any luck downloading "RAVE"?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Where Is Crank Fuse #50 RRC '94 ~ No Glove Box In This T

Thanks Eugene. I am beginning to think that the problem could possibly be with the alarm system. Not for the first time, the interior lights have started staying on 24/7. I have to pull that 15amp fuse to turn them off, but then I can't lock my truck without sounding the alarm. It's done this before, maybe once a year or so, and it usually just sorts itself out after driving it a couple of times, without causing any cranking problems, so I don't know. One of the many charms of the RRC. So much personality!

Just had it towed to the garage. I am going to copy that pic you linked me to and run it by the garage and see if I can find that cluster of relays.

Nah, that manual is NOT operational anymore on Mac. It used to be. I still have a copy on my desktop, but it doesn't function anymore. I did however, find this, which is helpful. http://p38arover.com/rover/p38a/

·
Registered
7 Posts

I am having the same issue except I am dealing with snow instead of rain! Miggit posted a nice diagram that will help you diagnose your starter. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/8-range-rover-classic/271905-1993-rr-classic-no-start.html
It would probably be prudent to use the electrical trouble shooting sticky and go through the big stuff under the hood. I have found that many of the connections are not in great condition on my Rangie. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: FIXED 94 4.2 LWB No Crank/No Click/No Start

After several posts about this problem, mostly trying to find fuses and relays, because it would not stop raining long enough for me to do much of anything else, and I have to admit I am no mechanic, I have sorted out the problem. More correctly, I broke down and took her to visit a mechanic who quickly sorted her out.

The problem was indeed the starter. So, Clementine now has a new starter/solenoid. And because it was my easy attempt at a fix, she also has a new battery and a new alternator, just for giggles.

Once again she is running like a Swiss clock! I will admit that there was a moment there during the monsoon season that I considered putting her up on the auction block. But now that she is back to being her usual charming self, and it is no longer raining, I think that she is going to get a good bath and some pampering today.

I love this truck! I love her so much that it's just not rational. There are moments of clarity when it occurs to me that I should be driving a Volvo, but then those moments are never when I am behind the wheel of my Clementine! So, we will continue to muddle along together, Clementine and me. :grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts