1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Question for my fellow UK owners.

My drivers seat has just refused to move forward using the switch, a week before the MOT is due, is this an MOT failure? Potentially a stupid question I know :oops:

Next, views on what could be wrong? I've not put the ECU into self test yet, when the fore/aft switch is pressed you here a click from a relay under the seat somewhere, when a voltage is applied to the motor, it moves back and forward.

I've not gone through RAVE yet and the ETM, could it be a dry joint in the ECU or is it the ECU thats gone?

Its a 1993 RRC LSE with memory seats.

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've had to clean the seat switches 2 times in the past few years on my 93. Good instructions on rangies net. Beware though, the switches really do explode! It's amazind what crud you'll find in there. Hopefully this solves your problem. Many people say the seat ecu's go bad, touch wood I havn't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took all of the trim of the seat and got to the motors and when a 12V supply was applied to the motors the seat moved through all directions so the motors looked good.

So I took the ECU off the seat to have a peek inside (what a pig of a job 8-0= )

The ECU had been recon'd in 2007 as it had a date passed sticker on top of it (what it passed, I don't know), it all looked ok inside and no sign of a Battery leak, but when I de-soldered the battery I found several corroded tracks under the Battery, on the PCB, some had been repaired others hadn't. As its not a multi layered board I removed the ULN2003 IC's which are Darlington Pairs and repaired the PCB and soldered some DIL sockets onto the board for the ULN IC's, New ULNs just in case and soldered a in new Battery, its back in and working.

:)

Cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wow! what a job, I followed what you said, just... you didn't take any pics? The seats and mirrors won't work on my 94lse that i've just bought, hopefully I don't need to do that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I caught mine just in time. replaced the battery with a new one and all was back to normal. I posted on here about it not long ago with a pic of the ECU.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry, I've got another knackered one that I'm going to do shortly....and this time I'll take some photos.

Cheers

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts