RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working through sorting a 93 SWB I bought about six months ago and decided to tackle the inoperative oil pressure light this weekend. I suspected the sensor, but connected a test light between it and the positive terminal of the battery and it seems to be working. With the engine off the test light is illuminated. When I start the engine the light goes out as I expected.

Next I moved on the the gauge cluster in the dash. I opened that up and found that the bulb had been removed. I replaced the missing bulb and now it is always solid when the ignition is on. Even if I disconnect the wire from the pressure switch it stays lit and I expected this to cause it to go out.

I'm wondering if a previous owner couldn't figure it out and simply removed the bulb. I would like to try to get it working. Any ideas what else could be causing it to remain lit?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would try disconnecting the oil logic sensor
It is a red plug under the dash on the drivers side upper left
In back

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That was the problem. The PRC5434 control unit was bad. I managed to find a used one on eBay for $35, swapped it in, and the light works as expected now. One more item off the todo list.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks for posting your solution
It’s always good to hear the rest of the story

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was really buried in the left side of the dash. I don't think I would have found it if I didn't have the replacement part on hand to compare to since it is totally hidden behind the alarm module. Some pictures for the next person who has to look for it.

Left side of dash with lower panel removed.
IMG_5161.JPG

PRC5434 control unit exposed after removing the alarm module.
IMG_5159.JPG

PRC5434 removed from the dash
IMG_5157.JPG

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts