RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know, probably the most common title I could've used for this thread, but I (and now my son) have been driving this rig for 10 yrs now and have not have a serious problem.......until now.

There has been an increasing leak for the past 6 months, to the point that I regularly (every month) top it off. But my kid sent me a pic today of a huge pool under the front, and a pic of the reservoir that looks empty.

Question: What is LIKELY that is leaking? I'll assume it's not a hose, so what are the TYPICAL leak modes on this rig; pump itself, or the steering BOX? I'll look under it when I get home now that the temp has plummeted from mid-40s to mid-20s with wicked wind-chill. Never fails.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Most likely the seal on the steering arm started leaking it sees a lot of pressure and possibly the box is out of adjustment creating some play stretching the tired old seal. You can get refurbished pumps easily (assuming it is a 4 bolt type) which drop in fairly easily or you get and rebuild kit and change out the seals which is best done with the box on the bench.

It's good the car has caused you so little problems, but if your son sends you pictures of 'something not right', I am not sure he is entirely the right type of owner of these type of vehicles. I am guessing your son changing the steering box out is not entirely within his remit?

·
Registered
793 Posts
My hose was leaking in the past
Tho only way I figured it out was by watching the hoses and steering box while the steering wheel was being turned
When turned and running
It was obvious what was leaking

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check the hoses when I get home also, but if it IS the seal on the steering box where the arm pivots, is there any way to replace that seal WITHOUT pulling the box and doing it on the bench?

My kid just drives it, I am still the maintainer. If he moved out and was living on his own, no way would I saddle him with it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You'll need at least a hydraulic puller to remove that primary steering arm, and a fairly tough one at that as it's probably one of the toughest bits to remove on the whole vehicle. That's just the arm to seperate it from the box.

Can by done in situ, but it's not actually that difficult to remove from chassis (mine is obviously RHD though) but dry it off with rags first and get a good look at where it is leaking.

The seal can fail on the input (steering column) shaft too so get a good look there if leak is not obvious. Different seals on that one, and possible also to change in situ if it is. This one if really bad can also empty the reservoir in about 100miles, and will puddle on the ground if you wind the steering round while stationary, check if that was happening hear for example parking with steering angle then straightening before switch off.

Once you find it no doubt advice on here can be more tailored.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
235 Posts
on today’s episode of “things you shouldn’t bother fixing” we have the power steering box.

ATP-205 works great for swelling seals back into submission and if you really insist on having no drips just get an eBay reman unit for $200ish.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on today’s episode of “things you shouldn’t bother fixing” we have the power steering box.

ATP-205 works great for swelling seals back into submission and if you really insist on having no drips just get an eBay reman unit for $200ish.
The leak suddenly slowed again to the rate it's had for the last 10 yrs, namely a random drip. I'm beginning to suspect that the puddle my son showed me was either from a DIFFERENT car that was parked there, or due to a strange set of conditions that led to an increased leak momentarily (but that doesn't make me feel any better).

The reservoir level was not very low, so I'm back now to leaning toward NOT fixing it.

The ATP-205 stuff looks promising, except for the reviews by people who said the stuff ate their internal tranny seals and caused catastrophic failure. The steering-arm seal, though, that's not an o-ring, right? It's a standard lip-seal with an internal tensioning spring, right? I can't imagine a seal like that being eaten by an aftermarket additive.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The steering stem seal, there are two types I believe. One as you describe and one that's a two part component comprised of a seal with a plastic protective cover outside that.

Mine is of the second type and got worse to the point of gushing, but before that it would exit quite a bit of fluid if you wound the steering without moving the vehicle to make a puddle. You can change this type in situ if it gets bad, so observation if it's that one is easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts