RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....I replaced the outer door latch and window motor.

Seems to be a spate of "central locking" posts lately, here's mine:

Removed inner door panel, disconnected the battery, then the central lock plug, then removed the door handle to replace the broken outer part. Removed and replaced the window motor, re-plugged in the central lock switch, hooked up the battery, and immediately the locks started going up and down, and the horn started beeping.

The only way I could get it to stop was to start the engine, but as soon as I shut it off, the locking/beeping started again.

Central lock mechanism worked fine before I unplugged and disconnected it.

I do NOT have key fobs, just old-school keys. No harnesses rubbing anywhere.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
For some reason it sounds as though it has defaulted to the lock state when you reconnected the battery. So it tries to lock but the controller is not seeing a lock signal from all of the doors so it unlocks again. As you've had one of them apart, I would suspect that one first. Make sure you haven't dislodged anything and check that the switch is operating when it is locked.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Okay my 1994 did the same thing after changing the other door handle. In order to get to the handle I had to remove the door lock actuator. I forget the exact process of what I did but I believe I pulled the door panel on another door, and looked at the actuator and how the metal rod hooks onto it. When I removed the actuator I ended up putting the metal rod on upside down.
I had to extend the plunger on the door lock actuator (its a plastic loop and is surrounded by a rubber cover) and hook the metal rod onto it, it might take a few attempts because I believe the plunger had to be extended a certain amount. Let us know if you fix it.. I can always pull my door panel and post photos for you if you can't figure it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay my 1994 did the same thing after changing the other door handle. In order to get to the handle I had to remove the door lock actuator. I forget the exact process of what I did but I believe I pulled the door panel on another door, and looked at the actuator and how the metal rod hooks onto it. When I removed the actuator I ended up putting the metal rod on upside down.
I had to extend the plunger on the door lock actuator (its a plastic loop and is surrounded by a rubber cover) and hook the metal rod onto it, it might take a few attempts because I believe the plunger had to be extended a certain amount. Let us know if you fix it.. I can always pull my door panel and post photos for you if you can't figure it out.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I un-hooked the lock actuator exactly like you said, must've re-connected it wrong. I'll check.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I always use my smartphone to take 'before' pics, so I have a visual reference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
disc0nnected everything, put it back together, NOW it all works (except for my window motor, a different thread,,,)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts