RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess a better question would be: Where is the port where I'd hook up a mechanical (with the little plastic oil line) oil pressure guage?

My oil light has been flickering slightly lately when the engine is hot, but it is not consistent; if the pressure was actually trending low at idle and the light was working properly, I would expect the light to flicker or come on EVERY time I stop and idle for a long time at a traffic light. It does not, which makes me suspicious.

It DOES go thru it's flashing sequence at startup.

Since it has 193k miles on it now, I figure this is a good time to put in a REAL guage and see what the REAL pressure is.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
172 Posts
Do you have a specific sender you want to use? Rather than eliminating the idiot light sender, I suggest adding one if these before the filter. I added one and used it to add an oil pressure sender and oil temperature sender (1/8"-27 NPT sending unit).

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
33 Posts
I guess a better question would be: Where is the port where I'd hook up a mechanical (with the little plastic oil line) oil pressure guage?
Unlike fuel pressure, there is no port where you can hook up an external mechanical gauge to monitor oil pressure. I opted to go with an adapter before the oil filter. You could tap off where the oil pressure sensor is located with a splitter, but access in that area is very limited. Adapter before oil filter is the easiest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THIS looks sano….any issues at all with oil filter function? If I wanted to just use a single (oil pressure) guage, I assume I could cap off the un-used ports?

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
172 Posts
Nope none at all, filter still fits just fine, just have to make sure to tighten both the adapter nut and the filter itself, otherwise it can leak from above the adapter even if the filter is tight (you can guess how I found that out). All the ports come with plugs already in them, so you just have to remove the one you want to use.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The 3.9 litre onwards run with a sandwich plate as standard as far as I'm aware ( may differ for different markets) .

It's used to run lines out and return to oil cooler sited in the water radiator side column.

You'd either have to ensure original hoses hook up to replacement plate, remake hoses to fit/ make use of adapters to fit, or possibly get the original sandwich plate machined to accept an oil pressure tapping as you can remove the plate from vehicle to facilitate this.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
172 Posts
Nope none of the above is necessary, the new sandwich adapter right bolts up underneath the existing plate with the oil cooler lines, its the setup I have right now. Super easy!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think I may be a little too cautious as steering drop arm on mine (rhd) comes across towards the oil filter on mine and obviously flipped for the USA market.

The OP will have to ignore my comments.

How thick is the plate as it looks quite substantial in the photo via link?

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
172 Posts
I think I may be a little too cautious as steering drop arm on mine (rhd) comes across towards the oil filter on mine and obviously flipped for the USA market.

The OP will have to ignore my comments.

How thick is the plate as it looks quite substantial in the photo via link?
Ah, you know I didn't even think of the fact that your steering arm is on the other side! I imagine that could definitely affect the amount of clearance one may have for an added plate. The plate is about an inch thick. When I get a chance I can take a picture as it is now for reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts