RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been chasing an issue on my 93 RRC for over a year. It starts when cold and will run for about 15 minutes and then just stops running. I'm at my wits end.

I've replaced:
Distributor
Cap\Rotor
Amp Pack relocation
Coil
Plugs
Wires
Temperature Sensor
Idle Bypass Valve
Fuel Pump (before I got it 3 years ago)

Symptoms:
Starts fine when cold and runs at 6-700 RPMs.
Runs for about 15 minutes and during that time idle will hesitate and then catch itself.
Eventually the idle starts to slow, hits ~400 RPM and then shuts off
If I let it sit for a half hour it will start again.

From the research I've done I think I've replaced the usually suspects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
136 Posts
I'm in agreement with Lwbblue, you can Cut the fuel filter in half once you change it and see if there's any junk in it. Also just because they're new parts doesn't really mean that you can rule it them out... What parts are genuine/OEM, and Aftermarket? Is the cap and rotor Lucas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last weekend it was showing code 48 so I replaced the Stepper Motor with a part from Advanced Auto. Only part that I didn't purchase from Atlantic British. I reset the idle and it did get rid of the code.

Today I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and it still died after 15-20 minutes. I let it cool down for a couple hours and I cleaned the contacts on the airflow meter and blew some throttle body cleaner thru the air hole in the plenum. I also rotated the air cleaner.

It then ran for 45 minutes without stalling including a ride around the block. I was able to turn it off and back on without issue.

I'm going to let it sit overnight and see if it still behaves itself are a fully cold start. If that doesn't work I'll order a fuel filter kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The saga continues...

Started it up this morning. Started right up and RPM surged and waned around 4 times and then it smoothed out to normal. During the surging process it threw code 48 again. I then took it for a ride without issue. Between the idling time in the driveway and the drive I ran it about 45 minutes without a hiccup.

I'm starting to think that maybe the stepper motor is still giving me problems. I read a thread somewhere that an advanced auto parts version didn't work that great. The part is $170 at Atlantic British though so I'm not ready to jump up and buy it. I'm going to clear the code and see if it gives me anymore over the next few days.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,079 Posts
It does sound like the stepper motor. Sometimes it takes a while for it to settle down, when the weather changes mine hunts for a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the AB stepper motor part today. I consistently get the surging idle issue on cold starts and it keeps throwing code 48. It's not stalling but I don't trust it. Since I was placing an order I got the fuel filter kit too. Still looks like the original on it and the truck has 113k on it.

My fingers are crossed that this does the trick.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
That's what he has on order. The idle air control valve is operated by a stepper motor and is often referred to as that.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
136 Posts
Sorry I never got back to you but that does sound like it could definitely be the stepper motor. Did you have any luck by using the one from AB?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts