RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel guage on my 92 RR County has started acting up... I get the low fuel light, but the guage reads 3/4 tank. just put fuel in it and it was virtually dry, so the warning light seems correct and the guage wrong. is tha tpossible?

Also noticed I am leaking gas out the back by the tank when driving. Could this all be due to a loose fuel guage on the tank? I have not ahd a moment to look. This also started happening after I got it back from the repair shop for a transmission cooler hose replacement.

thanks for advice.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
38 Posts
No, unfortunately you most likely have a cracked fuel tank. This is fairly common for the Classics of our vintage. My '91 RRC has 82,000 miles and required a new fuel tank. They crack at the fuel vent lines on the very top of the tank. The good news is some Classics are covered by a recall for this issue. You may be covered even now. Call your local dealer and give them your VIN to see if you can get a free replacement tank.

You're other issue is the fuel pump. The fuel gauge is part of the fuel pump and the entire unit must be replaced. You'll want to do this anyways since you will need to drop the fuel tank for replacement. I'd also replace the vent hose and main hose since you have to take the old hoses off to replace the tank. Just so you know, when I installed my brand new fuel pump, my gauge isn't exactly perfect. It never makes it to the full mark and the warning light comes on at a quarter tank. This is a brand new OEM pump. So, you may still have a bit of that British character in your Classic with brand new components.

Good luck and remember to run your tank to near empty before removing it. It will make the job much easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will totally look into that. I noticed when filling the tank on July 4th, that it was spilling-flowing out of the top front of the tank when it reached full and continued for a bit until the fuel was lower in the tank. a little scary. I checked the top of the tank through the floor boards of the back of the truck and that is clean and dry.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts