Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who can help, thanks so much. It's looking to be another cold winter coming up.

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my blower fan isn't working properly to provide heat. I only get hot air blowing from the vents on top of the dash when the vehicle is in motion --- the higher the speed, the stronger and hotter the air flow. When I slow down and stop at a light, the warm air flow practically stops as well.

The blower resistor has been changed out for a new one, but the problem remains. I've seen posts where folks have said it could be the switch or the relay, or heaven forbid, the heater blower motor.

I've charted below how my blower fan functions in each of the HVAC positions, and hope that someone can guide me as to what the likely culprit is, and how to track it down.

According to the owner's manual, to get heat it is necessary to engage slider E to the fresh outside air position, and then set temp and blower speed accordingly.

Here's how my fan responds to the various settings:
1) Slider E to AC - fan works on 1, 2, 3 blower settings, with noticeable difference between 2 & 3 settings
2) Slider E to Fresh Air - fan blows weakly (low) regardless of 1, 2, or 3 blower setting.
3) Slider E to Internally Recirculated Air - fan blows a weak 1, regardless of 1, 2 or 3 blower setting, ONLY
when Slider A is moved up to louvres. There is no blower function at any speed when Slider
A is in closed position (no air supply).
4) Slider E to Fresh Outside Air - fan blow a weak 1, regardless of 1, 2 or 3 blower setting, ONLY when Slider A is in the position to open louvres (dash vents). There is no blower function at any speed when Slider A is in closed position (no air supply).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Okie. Good to hear from you. I know you have traveled this path before with heater issues. BTW, I have fond memories of my time in Norman, years ago.

Okay, here's the deal. I get no fan sound or air flow from the dash vents up by the windshield, on any HVAC setting unless the truck is in motion. I do get fan sound and cold air blowing on all HVAC settings when air supply is set to the fascia vents (the ones that blow in your face.)

When the truck is in motion, I get hot air flow and air sound (which may or may not be from the fan). As long as there is forward motion, and the temp lever is on hot and the air supply to the fascia vents is closed, I feel a blast of hot air up onto the windshield which varies in force with the speed of the truck. When the truck stops, no air flow, no fan sound.

On the other hand, there is fan sound and cold air flow on all settings of Slider E when the air supply to the fascia vents is open (Slider A). And on the first two settings of Slider E (snowflake and white/blue lines), there is air flow from the fascia vents when the air supply to fascia vents is closed (Slider A).

Lastly, the fan works on each of the 3 speed settings only in the snowflake positon. In all other settings, the fan blows weakly (a 1 speed setting), regardless of where the speed selector is set.

I know there are two blower motors--one for AC and one for heat. I'm beginning to get a bad feeling that the problem may be the blower motor. But still hoping that it is something simpler, like a stuck flap or a wiring issue.

Your advice is welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Blower motor resistor will act like this, When accelerating extra kick in amps will make faulty resistor work better. Also check slider switch, exchange with other slider to troubleshoot, their both the same.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
369 Posts
I'm thinking either the heater fan blower motor is dead or the resistor. But if the resistor was bad you should have fan on FULL (no resistance).
I hate to say it but you are in for some fun.

ClassicJack is right check the switches too. IF the switches are bad or have failed that would be an easy fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts