RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 91 RR (140,000 K) for about 3 years. I have noticed lately the electric cooling fan comes on when I stop for traffic lights (outside temp. today was 58F), but will cut off when I start moving. The temp. gauge stays perfectly normal (about mid-way). The coolant is correct in the tank & I have absolutely no leaks. I pulled off the top radiator hose when I got home (after the fan began to run) & the coolant temp. was 160F. Oddly,I let the truck idle for 10 minutes before getting home and the fan did NOT come on, but it did come on later after only idling maybe 2 minutes. Any insight would be appreciated. I just know the electric fan did not come on last summer even idling! What temp. is the electric fan suppose to come on? I am not really familiar with the RR as I have owned Jags mostly.

Richard

·
Registered
523 Posts
Assuming you have a standard setup the electric fans are for the air conditioning, the viscous fan is for the engine cooling. I don't think the electric fans come on for engine cooling?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have AC. I was thinking the electric fan was for AC & to supplement the cooling system (along with the fan behind the radiator)? I noticed there is a switch that goes into the thermostat housing????

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
The electric fans run full time when the A/C is turned on. They also will run when the engine coolant gets above a certain temp, even when the engine is shut off. Sounds like you may have either a faulty engine coolant temp switch or a bad dash A/C selector switch. Next time the fans start running try pulling the connector off the temp switch, briefly, to see if they shut off. Believe the correct sensor will have green/white wires going to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts