RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the chime is supposed to warn you about? How about a wiring diagram? I just reconnected the unit under the dash and am working through the functions and the sensors trying to get it right. At this point the 2 tone chime sounds when you first start the car then stops. ( normal). It also 2 tone chimes if you leave the key in ( most of the time) However, it sounds a continuous single tone when the ignition is on. Either something is bad wrong, the unit has failed or I have a bad connection to a sensor. I get no tone relating to running lights being left on.
Any clues?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same problem. The key chime goes off then there is this constant ringing. I can't find where it would be coming from because I can't handle the noise. Did you ever find where it was coming from? Or how to disable?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I have the same problem. The key chime goes off then there is this constant ringing. I can't find where it would be coming from because I can't handle the noise. Did you ever find where it was coming from? Or how to disable?
the two tone is a self check it works, also as you noted key in the barrel with door open. if key is removed and lights are turned on then you have the lights on warning chime. also warns of t case in neutral.
the unit is located below the binnacle above the steering shaft next to turn signal switch. to disable completely just disconnect unit.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
Also to add -

if your car chimes when door is open, and no key in ignition, then the barrel switch is jammed. (this was my battery drain culprit) even with door closed, shift interlock is still energized when your barrel switch is stuck.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I had completely forgotten about this. I took mine out when I got it, the chime wouldn't shut up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thread resurrection!

I'm trying to get my chimes back. They have never made a peep and I've tried a known working box. I really only want the headlight warning chime since I always drive with them on and I may have forgotten once or twice to turn them off.

Since I was working on the binnacle and had the lower dash off, I did some investigation. There is a resistor jumping the black and the purple/black wires. It looks homemade not factory and I know PB is the transfer neutral chime. Removed the resistor from the B but still do not get any chimes and I'm testing on two boxes. Fuse is fine. Is there anything else that controls it???

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm

I have been working on this for the past few hours! Right now, my 95 has no chimes, and the only time the puddle and interior lights come on, is when key is on.... =/

I am wondering if I have a cut wire somewhere shorting out. ugh

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not sure if it's helpful but the PO of my Range had pulled the fuse for the chimes and courtesy lights. I had no chimes at all and no door-open courtesy lights. They only turned on with the button. The PO had pulled fuse 12 to disable the lights because the tailgate wasn't depressing the switch far enough to turn the lights off. The fuse was even still in the center console.

·
Registered
372 Posts
So to update - I was popping fuses for my parking lights, I pulled the chime speaker out of my MFU so I could drive to an event. Well... found the source of my short... loose / cut trailer hitch wiring. This caused parking lights to short out, alternator whine, aftermarket radio to turn on and off while driving and likely other issues. I am going to swap the good MFU in and see if the humm goes away.... Still no map lights or interior lights key off door open... lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts