RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been battling with my '91 Classic for a few weeks, am stumped and would appreciate any suggestions:

Initial Problem/Symptoms: Pulled truck into garage and shut down. Few hours later, went to start and would not start. No attempt to turn-over, no click, no tick-tick-tick - nothing. Put trickle charger on battery - few hours later charger showed errors. Reset charger and put on trickle overnight and awoke to same errors. Took battery (6+ year old Optima) to local auto store for test and it failed. Bought new battery, charged overnight, and same no-start.
Could not hear any engagement from the starter, tapped a few times with hammer while key turned - nothing. Removed the starter (two-week process with stuck bolts - another story) and took to store to get tested. Failed test several times so I got a new starter (and starter relay) from AB and just finished installing. No start. No click, nothing.

One thing I have noticed, is that the Onboard Diagnostics Display (under right-side seat on '91 Classic) flashed a dim 88 and then is blank. will not flash anything until key is removed and 5 second wait for ECU to drop out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the diagnostics display show codes with key turned on, even without engine running?

I check as many relays under the dash and under the seat and all seemed seated firmly. I also cleaned all the battery cables and terminal ends at the starter, including the ground strap mount before installing new starter.

I'm at a loss here - and facing have to have it towed somewhere unless someone has any ideas/suggestions for me to check? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
David.

·
Registered
533 Posts
OBD will show without engine running. If it just flashes quickly when you turn on, then it's not a code, just power going to it (88 is all bars on). A code will stay lit.
So, bad Optima (no surprise there because they've been very shoddy but after 6 years, hey not bad), bad starter, and possibility of a bad relay? A hell of a coincidence, or all connected? I don't see how they would relate. No power-on when key is rotated would make me think ignition switch. Any other diagnoses or previous problems?
I'd check the chassis grounds, that would cause this issue.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Are you getting ignition lights?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, all lights normal when key is inserted and turned. When key turned to start position, all lights off as normal and all return to lit when key returns back to on position. No attempt at turning over, no clicking, buzzing, etc that I can hear...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OBD is flashing 88 at initial key turn but does not stay lit with any code (and I know i have at least one or two codes that I have not been able to clear (needs TPI adjustment or something).
I replaced the ignition switch and cylinder about 9 months ago.
As far as the chassis grounds go - how many and roughly where located?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was under the assumption nothing worked when keyed on.
Take a stout wire, 8 gauge or heavier, and see if you can get down to the starter positive terminal and turn the starter over. If not, and it's new, you have grounding issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar problem once where I would get absolutely nothing when I tried to start it.... it was in gear and the neutral safety switch wasn't letting it start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried starting from P as well as D and N just to see if any difference. It is possible to see if the neutral safety/reverside light switch has failed as well...
David.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It should be relatively easy to test. Do you have a multimeter and workshop manual for your model year?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts