RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me the other day what kind of trans was in my RR. I'd never thought of it and had to admit I had no idea. Unusual for me...

Anybody got the answer at hand? :wink:

·
Registered
536 Posts
4sp Auto - ZF4HP22 (German)
3sp Auto - Torque Flight 727 (I think American)
5sp Man - R380 (Italian?)
4sp Man - LT77 (British)

Also, weren't there a run of Borg Warner 45s?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the replies. Sorry for not stating but it is an auto and appears to be the ZF as it is a 4 speed.

I wonder if any came to the US with a manual box? `)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
The R380 is not Italian, its a Rover gearbox.

There were no official manual Classics imported into the North America.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Torqueflite 727 was made by Chrysler. It was arguably the best automatic transmission of the Sixties and Seventies. And, yes, it is American.

Scott

·
Registered
264 Posts
skucera said:
The Torqueflite 727 was made by Chrysler. It was arguably the best automatic transmission of the Sixties and Seventies. And, yes, it is American.

Scott

that TORQEFLITE tras can handle over 400 horse power , my dodge charger r/t came with that trans all the hemi powerd muscle cars with well over 400hp

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not to threadjack, but it seemed related. How much power can the 4HP22 take? I've seen E30 guys running turbo 2.5-2.7 liter sixes on them, and know they also stuffed it into the old 745is, but have also heard they frag at the mid 200 ft/lb level (which is odd, since the 745i is a turbo 3.5 making well north of that). Also, that's turning lighter vehicles with smaller tires. I suppose I should ask how much can it take in a RRC

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
When Land Rover first spoke to ZF in the 70s they were looking at building auto Series 3 / Defenders for the Swiss Army.
The ZF people laughed at LR's concerns over their puny 2.25 petrol and pointed at BMW as an example.
They were quite shocked when the prototypes started blowing gearboxes in the alps.
Some modifications later the Land Rover spec - gearbox was produced.
The same gearbox was used in the 2.5diesel and 4.0 petrol P38s but the 4.6 uses an uprated model the ZF4HP24.
I don't have an exact answer to how much a ZF4HP22 can take in a Classic but its less than the output of a 4.6 Rover engine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I wonder if it's worthy of a 200-300 Ford or Chevy conversion? It's not on my agenda but I've seen a few attempts.... 8-0=

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pancake said:
Not to threadjack, but it seemed related. How much power can the 4HP22 take? I've seen E30 guys running turbo 2.5-2.7 liter sixes on them, and know they also stuffed it into the old 745is, but have also heard they frag at the mid 200 ft/lb level (which is odd, since the 745i is a turbo 3.5 making well north of that). Also, that's turning lighter vehicles with smaller tires. I suppose I should ask how much can it take in a RRC
These transmissions aren't limited by power so much as they are limited by torque. I've heard that the 4HP22 used in BMW's, Rovers, and Mercedes-Benzes can take about 340 Nm maximum, or about 250 ft.-lbs. BMW had ZF design a new transmission for the then new 750iL's V-12, the 4HP24-EH, to handle that engine's 300 ft.-lbs. of torque.

And, yes, the Torqueflite 727 could deal with 440 ft.-lbs. of torque from the big 440's in the late Sixties and early Seventies. The real brilliance is that these trannies are so mechanically simple and easy to repair, and small for their power handling ability.

Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I've been flirting with the idea of a Chevy 350 conversion (much like many of the US posters on these boards), but it would be very easy to make at least 300-350 ft/lbs out of one of those, and from what I've seen it would frag a 4HP22 in a heartbeat. I've read some on building up the 4HP22 to the specs used in the big six turbo BMWs/Mercedes or swapping parts from a 4HP24 to beef it up, but it seems more... economical? to put in a 700R4 along with the 350 and get an adapter to the t-case from advanced adapters. Down the road anyway, I've got to get other stuff straightened out first and there is no way I'm going to deliberately make a running RRC stop running during the winter months.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Yes and no.

Yes, it can be bolted up to a Rover V8.
Yes, it will physically fit and the mounts are available.

However...

You will need a different transfer box (losing your VC - if you have one).
LR only attached this to a carb-fed engine and your EFI may need some sort of gearbox signal...

Why do you want to?

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are some trade-offs with putting a Torqueflite 727 into a Range Rover. First, the Torqueflite is only a 3-speed, so it has no overdrive 4th gear. Second, it doesn't have a lock-up torque converter. You'll be trading some highway fuel efficiency away with that trade. You'll be gaining a transmission that is easy to maintain yourself that is very strong. Just wanting to give you enough info to make a decision with your eyes wide open....

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
HUMMER H1 said:
and if the rover has lt230? will that work with this trans? 727
It was launched with the lt230 so yes it will work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also not wanting to thread hyjack but i'm about to bolt a 4.6 into my 1994 rrc in place of the 4.2 but keeping the standard ZF4 gearbox. Will it take the torque of a sensibly driven 4.6 for long or is it likley to go bang on it's first outing?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Well, officially, an R380 manual is on its limit with a 4.6 but at least one person on here has done it and points to the hard-run Defenders running the same drivetrain.
I doubt yours will go bang on its first outing (though the engine is old enough / abused enough to require replacement so is the gearbox original?), but I reckon upgrading to the gearbox from the 4.6 p38 should be relatively easy.
Best keep a few pennies aside and Ashcroft's phone number handy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The engine is the origional on 150,000 miles, it needs rings and a cam so i thought i may as well replace it with a recon one and if i was going to the trouble of doing that i may as well bung in a 4.6.
I have found a couple of breakers locally that will sell me a known good box from a 4.6 for £250 but i was hoping i could get away without making the change.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts