RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the two other than the number of doors? I do like the look of a bobed rangie.. Could i remove the rear door and shorten the frame and the rest? How common are 2dr RRC's in canada? Any and all input wanted.
Thanks in advance
Ron :dance:

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Err, wow. I am speachless. Well not quite. :mrgreen:

The Rangie SWB and Rangie LWB both have 4 doors. The difference is rear legroom. I think you will find all 1990 Rangies are 4 door models... none of which were LWB. The LWB was not introduced until 1993.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
When people "bob" a Range Rover they usually cut off the rear end. Or at least that's what I see the most of on the boards.

To me there is no comparison between the 108 inch LWB and the 100 inch SWB. For comfort go with a LWB (1993-1995).

I often complained about my Discovery 2. IF they had a LWB version I would still be driving one. If I had the money I'd stretch one just for the comfort.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. Next question is do they bob 4dr units or just the 2dr? Has anyone have a site that would explain how they bob a rangie? I presently have a 90 RRC 4dr that i bought and finding out that i bought a can of rust.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
As Okie mentioned most bobs jsut entail chopping behind the rear tyre to gain a better departure angle. The rest of the rig would be the same regaurdless of the number of doors. Somewhere in my feeble old fart mind I remember seeing a photo diary of the bob process. I just can't remember if it was a "Classic" or a P38. :think: Lemme stew on it for awhile and see what I can come up with.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
And then there's Mark Pilkington's famous bobtail. He bobbed and shortened a 1972 2-door . He bobbed it as usual and shortened it by using the front doors from a 4-door and moved the rear body up to meet them, shortening the wheelbase to 91 inches. He originally had a carbureted 4.6-liter petrol V-8 in it but recently replaced that with a 200tdi. It's really a beautifully executed creation. I was on the Rubicon Trail with him a few years ago, before he did the tdi swap and repainted it Bronze Green. It's now for sale.

The first photo is howt it looked when we did the Rubicon in '05. The second is how it looks now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Gee John, no 4doors? :?
no 4 doors, geez was a 2 minute google to sites with pics of the complete build ;)

At least I didn't show some ugly P38 bobtail ;)

Personally if someone bobtails a "LWB" which is a rather hard to find LSE over here, they should be SHOT!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts