Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i have a 1990 Range Rover 3.9 EFI 2" Terrafirma long travel HD lift sitting on 285/75R16 right now its my daily driver i swapped the ICM for a Chevy one off my 402 BBC much more reliable and cheaper then the original rover one auto zone wanted $300 for very easy to do but the head gasket has been bad since i bought it was planning on fixing it but while looking for a abs pump at the junk yard i can across a p38 with a newer style pump so i picked up a 4.6 with mass air and ecu for $199 out of a 98 RR i believe P38 at lkq's thanks giving 50% off weekend the plugs all look perfect and the only problem i found with the vehicle was the brake booster pump was burned up which i found out after i bought the pump but i used some part part off my burned up one to rebuild the motor another question i had that no one seemed to have the answer to can the newer style abs pump with the reservoir attached to the pump be fitted to the older style pump with separate reservoir system i finally just did it myself only thing you need to change is the motor power plug and take out the old pump out and and put the new one into the line leaving the old reservoir and everything else in also replace the 2 relays under the drivers seat closet to the door as they fail on and cause ur pump to burn up normal relays work fine you don't need the original prone to failure ones. i found many swaps using a chipped 3.9 ecu and switched to distributor but none with just dropping the engine mass and 4.6 ecu in a RRC and driving off into the sunset didn't even find anyone attempting it im wondering why not? what is the Problem? what am i not seeing here before i start the swap or do a mild build to the 4.6 and find out why no one does it my self. if u have any other questions or problems about your or my Rover or want me to do a wright up on anything let me know
20131112_095605.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im in the same boat... literally. Mines green. LOL I have a 4.6 short block in the garage and can't really seem to be able to answer any more questions than you. My big ? now is the oil rail and oil pan. I guess i'll see if everything really bolts up soon enough. If the man at the shop says new bearings i'll slap a set of 4.0 pistons in it (also in the garage). I found a couple links to write ups but they were broke...http://rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/index.htm#engineswap http://rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/brownswap.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts