RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just finished changing the oil on my '04 RR HSE (4.4 gas engine). What I thought would be an easy job turned out to be a PITA as the original owner stripped out the lower oil pan/drain plug (I just bought the truck ~2K miles/ago). I ended up ordering a new lower pan to the tune of $149 plus shipping.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the drain plug out as it was completely stripped, so I had to remove 20 of the 21 bolts for the lower pan and then pull on the lower pan just a bit to let the oil drain out. I then pulled the pan altogether, cleaned everything up and put the new lower pan back up.

Anyway, my question is in regards to the oil capacity. The manual specifies 9 quarts with a filter change. I put the 9 quarts in, but I'm now quite a bit above the full oil line. I'm guessing I'm about 1 quart over the full line (photo attached, the oil line is near the top of where the plastic bulb flares out).

I'm confused why I'd be so far over, as I literally got ever single drop out of the oil pan (easy when you have the lower half of the oil pan off the truck). There was a bit of oil left in the oil filter housing, but nowhere 1 quart.

Anyone have an input on this? I'm confused as to why I'd be so far over the full line. I checked RAVE to make sure that there's no second drain plug somewhere or some kind of special procedure to get all the oil drained out, but it looks pretty standard.

By the way, I'm not sure if it helps but I'd estimate that I drained about 7 quarts or so from the truck originally (hard to say exactly as it was a bit messy since I couldn't drain the oil properly through the drain plug). I'm pretty sure the truck was at/near the full oil mark at the time, so I'm not sure where the 2 quarts or so of oil were hiding.[attachment=1:3onss02s]IMG_8982-1.JPG[/attachment:3onss02s]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Pretty sure it takes 8 quarts... Regardless I'm always slow to pour the last bottle or two, checking the level frequently... Then I start it, let it run for about 20 seconds, then check the level again.

Post pics of your SVT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. I checked the manual again to make sure I have the capacities right. Manual confirms it's 9.6 quarts dry and 9.0 quarts with a oil drain/filter change.

I actually need to get some good recent photos of the SVT all cleaned up and out in the sun. Here's a couple of photos from tonight of it in the garage. The car is pretty dirty right now, but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The dipstick is one thing that pisses me off (on the BMW engine anyway, Jag doesn't have one). I can never even read mine without checking it several times. The stupid tube won't ever let it go in easily, and no matter how carefully I wipe it off it always comes back with oil all over the thing. Usually takes 5 or 10 tries before I decide what the level is, but even then, I can never tell precisely (and being a perfectionist, it drives me insane). Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how much I used last time, I always just buy a whole case of oil, use what I need and save the rest... eventually I have enough extra that I can do a change without ordering more oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I know what you mean about trying to read the dipstick. In this case I cleaned it off with a bit of brake cleaner so I could be sure I was getting a nice reading as to exactly where the oil is coming to on the dipstick. That's why the dipstick looks so dry in the photos above the oil line.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I always just use a clean kitchen paper to wipe it, figuring I don't want to contaminate the oil with chemicals from anything else... the brake cleaner evaporates though, I don't know why it never crossed my mind to use that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Brad. The wing delete is actually my doing. I always thought that the spoilers on the '96-'98 Cobras looked like a dealer-installed hack of an add-on. I ended up coming across a NOS trucklid that did not have the holes, so I jumped on it. I still have the orignal trunklid/spoiler wrapped up and packaged in case my tastes change or I sell the car and the new owner prefers the look with the spoiler.

Your SVT is an '03-'04 Terminator, right?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
ThanxSVT said:
Thanks Brad. The wing delete is actually my doing. I always thought that the spoilers on the '96-'98 Cobras looked like a dealer-installed hack of an add-on. I ended up coming across a NOS trucklid that did not have the holes, so I jumped on it. I still have the orignal trunklid/spoiler wrapped up and packaged in case my tastes change or I sell the car and the new owner prefers the look with the spoiler.

Your SVT is an '03-'04 Terminator, right?
Yeah, the stock wing is pretty awful... I like the saleen duck tail wings for the sn95, but your deleted looks real good.

Mine is an 03 cobra yeah.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
Get a room in another forum boys
http://www.mustangforums.com/
:thumb:
Why, you have a problem with a couple of RR owners posting pics of their mustangs?

Here, maybe this one will put your concerns to rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts