RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here good at starters? I recently decided to drive my ole 89 classic which had been sitting a while. I drove it a couple months ago with no problems. Now though the starter will not engage. Battery has a good charge so i'm wondering how to do a solenoid test to see if that is the culprit. All connections from battery and grounds are secure. I did the ole short across the solenoid posts and the sparks flew, but i did get the solenoid to spin but it did not engage the flywheel.
As i turn the keyswitch there is a clicking sound coming from underneath the area below the gearshift lever. If anyone has an idea about this condition i would love to hear from you. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Did you trigger the solenoid to get the motor to spin or did you short out directly to the starter motor. When the solenoid activates to provide power to the starter motor it also throws out the gearing to engage the flywheel. So just providing power to the starter motor will often not get it to engage the flywheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no mechanic and not sure how to answer your question. I shorted across the two large bolts coming out of the end of the solenoid. One of the leads comes directly from the positive side of the battery. Not sure where the other lead goes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That will spin up the starter but not engage the flywheel, giving exactly the symptoms you describe. The solenoid is triggered by the much thinner wire that connects to it.

Exactly what happens when you turn the key? Do you get any clicking noise, which would be the solenoid trying to engage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, There is a clicking sound when I turn the key........... From inside the vehicle, it sounds like it's coming from the starter area.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's the classic symptom of a solenoid problem - the solenoid is getting power, but sticks before the starter engages. However, I also had that same symptom when I had a poor connection in the wire that triggers the solenoid - the bad connection meant that there was enough power to move the solenoid part of the way but not the whole way.

One way to 'test' the solenoid is to have a helper turn the key to the start position (solenoid clicks) and hold it there for a few seconds while you hit the solenoid (don't be afraid to give it a good smack) with a metal bar or similar heavy object. If the solenoid's sticking, the 'beating' may just help it on it's way and the car starts. This won't solve the problem, but will al least confirm the problem.

One hint from experience - doing this at 11.30pm in the high street of a small, quiet village might be frowned upon :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts