RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Range Rover that i just got free as a gift from my inlaws, and its been giving me nothing but problems so i really just want to pull the motor and replace it with something a little more powerful. I had heard that a 350 small block will bolt right in to factory mounts... Is this true? i am also looking for suggestions, ideas, and experiences want to make it simple and affordable, but safe and reliable... Also suspension ideas...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
That would be Oldsmobile 215 cid (actually Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac or just BOP) V8. I have no idea if that means it'll be any easier to fit a GM 350 (5.7 liter) V8 in it. I hope someone who knows for sure will chime in for you. I know that there have been conversions to that engine so whatever you need should be available out there. Keep in mind that the 350 is not only larger but a good bit heavier as the 215 (3.5-liter) Rover engine is all aluminum and the 350 is iron. There may be some aluminum versions or at least ones with aluminum heads but most are all cast iron, I'm pretty sure. Therefore, you'll need stiffer front springs to compensate for the extra load.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gran.

Check out www.marks4wd.com which lists all possible fitment and installation kit options for replacing the 'donk' in our Classic Range Rovers with transmissions ?

I personally would love to install an early Audi V8 motor to the ZF auto, since this engine has the front drive-shaft on the same side as our beasts for clearance !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
What problems has the 3.5 been giving you?

The RV8 is a pretty simple motor, so if the car is in solid condition it might be worth getting it rebuilt, they are a pretty reliable motor.

·
Registered
543 Posts
B5.

How about another option from left field-Dodge SRT V10 as per the attached pic ? Check the relevant hard point location for accessories in the attached image !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts