RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 88 range rover with a 3.5l efi. the problem im having is that the ignition amplifier heats and shuts down. before you say "relocation kit" it already has one. when it first shut down i tried multiple things. noticed it didnt have spark. replaced the coil... nothing. after it sat awhile it would start. so one day when it died i put ice on the amplifier at the distributor (should have been a dummy box) and it started and ran fine. i did this many times and it solved the issue every time. when i bought the RR it already had the relocation kit on it. while i was working on it i noticed that the distributor had recently been replaced. maybe the "dummy box" was thrown out and replaced with an accual amplifier.? in that case it has two of them. soon after all of this the temp gauge started reading backwards. starts in the normal range and moves left to the cold range. where it shuts down again. also i tried jump starting another car of mine with the RR and the Cables started smoking right away. dont know if its related but seems to be :think: . if anyone could give guidance it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi, just a guess but have you done anything with battery? It's sounds sorta like it's in backwards. Pos to Neg and vice versa.
Could also be a bad short circuit, some live wire shorting right to ground, but I wouldn't know where to start looking except that amplifier.
Sorry I don't have anything else, that's the only things that come to mind.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the terminals arent crossed. the vehicle still runs and drives. i did notice that today it started running really rich.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A few points of clarification. You say the ign amp has been relocated but you say you cooled the one at the distributor?

What is the dummy box? I haven't heard that term before.

Why do you think the jump starting cables smoking is related? What was the problem with the jump starting car? Short circuit battery maybe...?

Have you tried replacing the ign amp?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the relocation kit you get an amplifier that goes on the wheel well and you get a "dummy box" an empty shell of an amp. (houses wires from the fender amp to the distributor)that bolts to the stock location on the distributor. it should have been a shell but i guess whoever replaced the distributor put an accual amp on in place of the "dummy". by the way thats the manufacturers word not mine : )

idk maybe the smoking cables, crazy temp guage, and the extremely rich condition are not related.

the car i was jumping is fine. nothing wrong with it. the batt is fine. after the smoking episode i used another car of mine to jump it and no smoke so i figured it was the RR.

what amp should i replace? i apparently have two on it now. one on the distributor and one on the wheel well. i guess its the one on the distributor that is bad, but should i not get rid of it since i have the relocation kit. any idea where i can buy just the "dummy". or possably just run a harness to the distributor?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Are you certain that there is an amp on the distributor instead of a dummy? Can you run the car without the remote amp in the circuit?
If they are both amps, then I'd suggest that that's your problem.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah, now i follow.

I agree with Danny. Try just running the standard amp and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try that in the morning,. thanks
i guess its an accual amp in the stock location because if it were a "dummy" it wouldnt react to the ice or cool water.
i emailed Atlantic British about I.D.'ing the dummy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so.. its been a while. and the problem is fixed. it seems as though it did have the "dummy" box afterall and one of the wires inside needed to be resoldered easy fix. runs fine now. thnx for the replies. i have pix of thw relocation kit inside and out. very simple to make if anyone wants to. alot cheaper than 200$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts