RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have an issue with my 88 RRC as it won't start. I've spent the last few hours researching and haven't had any luck.

A few weeks ago I went out to leave for work. Turn the key and the 3.5 will just turn over with no fire. After some research I by-passed the inertia switch and hard wired test on the pump which pumped fuel. The truck started fine and ran without issue until last week. Then same thing after running normaly, I go out to go to work and same thing. It will turn over but won't start. So seeing that the inertia switch is by-passed I hard wire the pump to see if it works which it does. I then try to start the truck and joy, it starts right up. Now I have the truck setting behind my house and it won't start again. It will turn over fine and if I hard wire the pump to test it, the truck will start for a second or so and shut down. I thought the Pump was weak and have replaced it with an Airtek and no joy. No, when I first turn the key I can't hear the pump do a precharge. (keep in mind that I do have the rear floor up and have easy access to the pump.

It seems that which ever component tells the pump to start is failing to do so....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add that I pulled every fuse on the dash and all are good. Did switch the relays under the passenger seat to see if any thing would come of it....

Seeing the manual I have is for later Rovers, it can be useless at times.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It could be many things, truth is, factory manual has a very good trouble shooting section on ignition and fuel injection. The last time I had starting problems it was plug wires, coil, coolant temp sensor, all at the same time. My rule is check everything twice, replace everything often.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You need to see if the pump is losing it's power feed when you go to start it. A multi meter or test light should be able to tell you if you are getting inital power and power when you go to start it.

Pretty sure the ECU gives the signal to the fuel pump, probably via a relay, but would have to check in the manual.

Probably worth buying the correct manual anyway.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Some systems only allow the pump to run for a second unless the motor is running or being turned over. So what you are hearing may be normal. Apparently there is a pump power test lead located behind the left wheel between the chassis and the floor. This should tell you whether the pump is getting power and when. But if you are hearing it start, then it must be getting power. What you need to check is whether it keeps on running while you turn over the motor. The fuel pump relay is triggered by the ECU. The power from the relay then goes through a fuse and to the inertia switch and then to the pump. The test lead mentioned earlier is after the inertia switch. I would guess that if you applied power to this test lead the pump should run.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, so far today I have done nothing as I am suffering with a awesome headache.

I will add that my Rover has fresh plugs, cap, and rotor. Also the inertia switch is already by passed so that leaves a few less things to test. I have both a test light and multimeter and will try to find out what is going on with power. My multimeter is a cheapy but it seems to give decent volts.

I'm getting pretty close to throwing my hands up and trading this in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
HI,your 88 has a lucas mass airflow meter with a paddle that moves with the airflow .Take off the inlet hose from the aircleaner side and check that the paddle moves freely.The paddle must move about 5 degrees to close the points that operate the fuel pump relay.Operating the starter motor is enough to generate sufficient airflow to move the paddle the required distance.If you have a buildup of grime in your airflow meter,it may be enough to hinder the paddle.The usual scource of grime buildup is the engine breather.
Cheers, Rover88 :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hang Over is running!

Just going over things again after not getting any voltage by the pump. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the truck started right up. The new pump is doing it's job even if the old one was bad. (but with 90k miles how long would it last)
Now with the inertia switch bypassed and the relay seemly ok, should I start looking for a ECM?

Oh, I had a vibration show up on my way from home the same night the rover died. I thought it had something to do with the fuel issue, nope. A broken fan blade....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put everything back together today and all went rather smooth. Had a small issue getting the rear seatbelt brackets back into place but most of that was because I was alone. Instead of replacing rivets in the floor, I went with stainless #14 sheet metal screws. This will make the job easier next time.

Guess within a week or so, I will find out if the ECU is bad. I have other things that need attention like tie rods and such so Murphy needs to give me a break. I've been driving a Golf all week and found that I miss the Coraddo I had before the Rover. But being back in the pilot seat today after the repairs has sparked the lust for my Rover again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts