RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 RRC was driving along nicely and then stopped. Won't start anymore. Fuel pump moves fuel when you try to start it. ( removed the hose after the filter fuel flowing fine). Changed the wires, rotor and cap the day before. It was jerking a bit as I was going along before it quit. Any ideas what to check? Ignition relay maybe?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
check your most basic functions, power to coil with ignition on, power out of coil, fouled or worn out spark plugs, spark out to cap and from cap to spark plugs, fuel pressure not fuel delivery. you need 38 to 50 psi to operate but only 2 to deliver. check your fuel filter for clogging.

all of this info and trouble shoot tree is on rave.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hope you have a battery charger because all the cranking you are going to do to get it to start is going to deplete the battery fast.

Even if I hear the pump whine at startup I still try starter fluid at the intake to ensure the issue is spark. Then I start checking the input and signal voltages at the coil and ignition amplifier. I spent about fifteen minutes trying to find a good write up for you, but I failed to deliver. You'll have to do some googling for Rover V8 Ignition troubleshooting.

Did you clean the contacts of the cap and rotor? Check all connections?
Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also check for vacuum hose splits and potentially a leaky brake servo diaphragm. My experience with dizzy amps is the just die they don't splutter and create misfires but thats just my experience.

Clean the stepper motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts